Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Riding in the rain

Went on a ride yesterday with my HD goggles with the foam around them which does a pretty good job of keeping the pollen out. But it started to rain and they got wet and then fogged up and couldn't see very well. Had to lower them to let air circulate in/out but then the water hit my eyes. Since I was with a group of riders, I couldn't stop to get my sunglasses so just kept using the goggles. On the way home, I put on my sunglasses but they hurt my ears under the 3/4 helmet I have, but at least I could see better.

What works best in the rain for you die hards who ride in the rain??

Old 04-25-2010, 10:19 AM
617south
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anti fog lens spray works for me I keep some in my bags.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

I have some Wiley X's that have removable foam. When a real gully washer hits I just pop the foam out and keep going.

Nothing works good for keeping your glasses clear, but those and a screen make it tolerable.

http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/Pro...LIMATE_CONTROL

Old 04-25-2010, 11:02 AM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

I use an inexpensive pair of amber shooting glasses. They don't fog up and if I need to wipe the iside of the lens I can without stopping the bike. Honestly I don't know of anything that really works well. If anyone ever finds something that really works I'd buy a pair in a second.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:06 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Cheap $7 clear glasses with the foam around them. Wipe 'em with a finger when I need to. I put some of that blue stuff I got at a bike show on them, and that helps a little.

Works just as well as the $150 Wiley-X glasses.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Sporty93
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'm a Sporty driver but the rain is the same. Being from Minnesota, and being as I ride from mid-March through December with trips west and east I always catch rain. My favorite is windshield, helmet shield, prescription classes all in concert. I've cut my windshield 1.5" below my eye-level and continually adjust my posture while raising or lowering my helmet shield. All Shields and glasses are coated with that blue stuff that was mentioned earlier. Extra blue stuff is in the windshield bag.

I've been hanging around the touring section because I'm getting to old for sportsters, and I'm learning too many first names at gas stations.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Dougsfatboy
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use an inexpensive pair of clear glasses. I dont like the goggles cant get used to them. They don't fog up if they get scratched i get a new pair I can without stopping the bike. If anyone ever finds something that really works I'd buy a pair.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I stopped wearing goggles. Just glasses, tinted or clear depending on conditions. Got some cheap clear lens glasses a few weeks ago from new enough. I think they came to all of 12 bucks with shipping included.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:24 PM
QQVEPY
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear a full face helmet and crack the face shield a little if needed for fogging. The fogging typically occurs when you stop since there is no air being forced into the lower helmet vent. I've been riding for nearly 30 yrs and have never had a problem with this set up.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:29 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by QQVEPY
I wear a full face helmet and crack the face shield a little if needed for fogging. The fogging typically occurs when you stop since there is no air being forced into the lower helmet vent. I've been riding for nearly 30 yrs and have never had a problem with this set up.

For rain this is the best set up. And looking over the windshield. IMHO!

Quick Reply: Riding in the rain