Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indian Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 PM
02ULTRA
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
Putting that 1901 on the logo is a stretch, too. Especially since there is not an Indian designed part on the bike. Harley Evo clone, anyone?

Wow, some of you have your heads so far up Harley's azz that you can't even appreciate another brand. I love my Harley, but also love my Indian and hope to get one of the new ones some day.
BTW, the Indian motor is not an EVO clone, completely Indian design. The 1999-2001 Idian Chiefs and 2001-2003 Scouts and Spirits have the S&S EVO motor in them.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:53 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

During WWII both Harley and Indian were competing for the military contract. They were both to spec a bike with limited cubic inches. Harley didn't stick to the agreement and built a larger engine and won the contract. Indian Motorcycle Co. never financially recovered. Had they played by the rules, Harley may have lost the contract and gone under. Maybe we would all be drinking Indian Coffee, drinking whiskey from Indian Shot glasses, and Indian Beef Jerkey.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:08 PM
JWitz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They will have to prove themselves to gain any market......gonna have to get established....

Old 04-25-2010, 10:12 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I didn't know they were BACK in production again. How long this time?

Old 04-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by El Rey
Have you ever actually seen a 1940 Indian Chief? Or understand the Art Deco period?
I got a chuckle out of that one too. That's History gone bad instead of Girls gone bad.

Last edited by Damascus; 04-25-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ULTRA
I just toured the Indian factory in Kings Mountain NC in March. An awesome group of people, and beautiful bikes. They will continue to produce about 750 bikes per year. The goal is not to compete with HD, but to build a premium brand in small numbers.
The engine, although looks like the Indian PowerPlus released in 2002 by the Gilroy Indian factory, is complete redesigned from top to bottom. Engines are assembled at the Kings Mountain factory, each one is assembled by the same tech from start to finish.
Frames are engineed by Indian engineers and built in Italy where Ducati frames are made.
The high quality leather seats and saddlebags are made by the same company that did the leather for Indian in the old days.
Each bike is assembled from start to finish by a team of two and signed off by those two when complete.
Someday, when I can afford it, I will own another one, I just won't give up my Ultra and current Indian Scout to get it.
This is good to hear. I'd like to read an updated review because the last one I read on a bike from this new company wasn't too kind. But I think they still had the older/not redesigned/leftover motors in them so maybe they are getting better.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:31 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Xguy
dat bomber is da bomb, I was checking it out on their website, oh man I want that bike sooo baaaaaaad

You could paint your Road King like that and have a WAY better bike.

Wouldnt rely on one of them if ya gave it to me. Working on them SUCKS ***! They couldnt make a motor that would stay together for crap, ignition system that didnt last, basically a pieced together catalog bike with some bad chioces for parts.

Last Indian I'd own was built in '46!

Old 04-25-2010, 11:36 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't buy one of them for $10,000. The ONLY thing that I like is the longer wheelbase. RUB bait to be sure...

Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know, I know, this is a HD forum, but has anyone looked at that new Indians? Man are they PROUD of those!!! I mean really, $26000 all the way up to $35500 for the BASE models. And most of them come stock with only a solo seat. I hadn't paid any attention to them until a buddy told me today that he was looking at maybe getting one. All I can say is WOW!!! That's SE Ultra price for a base bike with basically nothing on it. With prices like that they surely don't plan on selling many.
I'm not trying to defend the price on the new Indians, it's out of my reach but there are a few differences from a standard H-D.

Chrome front end assembly

Brembo calipers and master cylinders with floating rotors ( dual disc up front )

The exhaust is a stainless steel 2-1 design with chrome heat shields. The catalytic converter is in the collector. Then if you want to change the muffler to an aftermarket piece, you're still EPA compliant.

S/S braided control cables

S/S braided brake lines front & rear ( not just front like the H-D CVO models )

Adjustable clutch and brake levers

Hydraulic clutch

2 12volt power outlets

Billet wheels, rear pulley and a few other pieces are Performance Machine.

The laced wheels are from American Wire Wheel. No tubes.

The frames are from the same company that builds the frames for Ducati and Honda/Europe.

There are no robots in the factory. All work is done by hand including the paint and buffing. The tank logos are hand painted, not decals.

Rear suspension is a single Fox adjustable coil-over. Mounts higher than the shocks/springs on a Soft Tail, kinda up under the rear of the seat.

All chrome foot controls

105 CI engine

Baker DD6 speed transmission

I wonder what you'd have in whatever model H-D you ride if you added all those features?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Hunter2678
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I really like the brand and am glad they are making another resurgance, but the great nostaligia and relevant MC history aside, visual detail and character seem to be lacking on some of their other models for the $$ they're asking ...anyone else think so?

Last edited by Hunter2678; 04-26-2010 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Indian Motorcycles