Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indian Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:07 PM
02ULTRA
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just toured the Indian factory in Kings Mountain NC in March. An awesome group of people, and beautiful bikes. They will continue to produce about 750 bikes per year. The goal is not to compete with HD, but to build a premium brand in small numbers.
The engine, although looks like the Indian PowerPlus released in 2002 by the Gilroy Indian factory, is complete redesigned from top to bottom. Engines are assembled at the Kings Mountain factory, each one is assembled by the same tech from start to finish.
Frames are engineed by Indian engineers and built in Italy where Ducati frames are made.
The high quality leather seats and saddlebags are made by the same company that did the leather for Indian in the old days.
Each bike is assembled from start to finish by a team of two and signed off by those two when complete.
Someday, when I can afford it, I will own another one, I just won't give up my Ultra and current Indian Scout to get it.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:16 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ULTRA
I just toured the Indian factory in Kings Mountain NC in March. An awesome group of people, and beautiful bikes. They will continue to produce about 750 bikes per year. The goal is not to compete with HD, but to build a premium brand in small numbers.
The engine, although looks like the Indian PowerPlus released in 2002 by the Gilroy Indian factory, is complete redesigned from top to bottom. Engines are assembled at the Kings Mountain factory, each one is assembled by the same tech from start to finish.
Frames are engineed by Indian engineers and built in Italy where Ducati frames are made.
The high quality leather seats and saddlebags are made by the same company that did the leather for Indian in the old days.
Each bike is assembled from start to finish by a team of two and signed off by those two when complete.
Someday, when I can afford it, I will own another one, I just won't give up my Ultra and current Indian Scout to get it.

I am glad to hear they are still hand built. This is the main reason these bikes have been so indestructible over the years.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by Red.Road.Glide
The 2010 Indian Bomber is pretty cool lookin' if ya' ask me...

Not me. I was in the suck. Anything drab turns me off. Except a pretty girl that shows me her underwear. That I likem even if it's drab.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:22 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member

Putting that 1901 on the logo is a stretch, too. Especially since there is not an Indian designed part on the bike. Harley Evo clone, anyone?

Old 04-25-2010, 12:41 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Theres been numerous threads about this recently.

I for one, hope they succeed. Another American company putting people to work. Yes, yes they, outsource their parts, but assembly is in the USA.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:47 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

That fender looks like something you'd find on a Kawasaki metric or something like that.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:53 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guardian
That fender looks like something you'd find on a Kawasaki metric or something like that.
Have you ever actually seen a 1940 Indian Chief? Or understand the Art Deco period?

Old 04-25-2010, 01:52 PM
fladawg01
Tourer
Default Handbuilt?

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
I am glad to hear they are still hand built. This is the main reason these bikes have been so indestructible over the years.
I'm not sure about hand built, as I was informed the motors were being done in Korea. they may be assembled here but the castings are done overseas. Also they are very close to evo motors. The forks would have to come from overseas as well as there are no US companies from what I am told make forks here, same for HDs.

It really is being made for the older MC enthusiast, they are not going after the younger crowd. They also only have 3 distys, one in Gastonia NC, One in Chicago and one in LA or somewhere in Cal.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:54 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guardian
Indian MC have been around for over a 100 years. The ricers got the design from them.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:30 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by El Rey
Have you ever actually seen a 1940 Indian Chief? Or understand the Art Deco period?
I'm just saying. The Kawasaki has the same front fender

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
Indian MC have been around for over a 100 years. The ricers got the design from them.
And does it matter? Somebody said the fender was hideous, I voiced my opinion.

Quick Reply: Indian Motorcycles