Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Touring Models will have a 103 engine.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:02 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbideDude
103 in 3 bikes: Road Glide Ultra, Ultra Classic Limited, and Road King Classic (!).
And an option in Road Glide Custom and Street Glide.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:19 PM
peddler
Club Member

Originally Posted by XRider
No back stroking excuses from all the negative, *****, bitchers here. Eat your crow and choke on it...
I believe this was directed at my most recent post because it appeared right after my post copied below.

2 points:

1) I believe a lot of members were questioning the "accidentally delivered" part of the OP as much as they were the fact the 2011 Touring bikes will be available with a 103 motor.
There have been a lot of negative comments made on this thread at your expense. That's unfortunate. I don't believe anything I have written on this thread could even remotely be categorized as (in your words)
"negative, *****, bitchers."

You of course are entitled to your opinion.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarbideDude
103 in 3 bikes: Road Glide Ultra, Ultra Classic Limited, and Road King Classic (!).

Just so everyone knows... The SG and RGC are added to this list (As noted above). This is straight from the HD site:

Old 07-27-2010, 01:35 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the looks of it they are charging $800 more to get the 103". Also making you buy ABS and security, for a total of $2000. I would suppose they watched the herd snap up the limiteds for more money and sensed that they could match other brands ( Victory) with bigger engines, and get more suckers to pay for something that doesn't cost them any more to manufacture. Basically it amounts to a price increase for the same product.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:06 PM
peddler
Club Member

Originally Posted by springer 03
From the looks of it they are charging $800 more to get the 103". Also making you buy ABS and security, for a total of $2000. I would suppose they watched the herd snap up the limiteds for more money and sensed that they could match other brands ( Victory) with bigger engines, and get more suckers to pay for something that doesn't cost them any more to manufacture. Basically it amounts to a price increase for the same product.
It's never about manufacturing costs and always about what the market will bear. In 2009-2010 the Harley community sent a very strong message that they were willing to pay a premium for a 103 regardless of what the difference in manufacturing costs may or may not be. Did anyone believe Harley wasn't going to price the '11's accordingly????

Something else to consider. I was very skeptical Harley would offer two motors in the same model for 2011. Had they priced the 2011 Street Glide with ABS, Security and the 103 motor as independent options they would have had to manufacture/configure 8 different Street Glide combinations in 2011. In 2010 they maufactured 4. Buy combining the 103 motor option with ABS/Security combined option they effectively reduced the number of Street Glide models to 3.

And if you want a 103 without ABS/Security you can buy a 96" Street Glide without ABS/Security and then have a Big Bore kit installed.

These people aren't stupid.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:11 PM
XRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peddler
I believe this was directed at my most recent post because it appeared right after my post copied below.

There have been a lot of negative comments made on this thread at your expense. That's unfortunate. I don't believe anything I have written on this thread could even remotely be categorized as (in your words)
"negative, *****, bitchers."

You of course are entitled to your opinion.
Definitely NOT directed to/at you peddler or I would have quoted you like now.

Funny how the straight up guys are posting now and the negative, *****, bitchers are no were to be found for their crow...

Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 PM
peddler
Club Member

Originally Posted by XRider
Definitely NOT directed to/at you peddler or I would have quoted you like now.

Funny how the straight up guys are posting now and the negative, *****, bitchers are no were to be found for their crow...
Thank you for the response.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Open Road
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears the Power Pak (103" motor, etc.) is available in all the touring line up. Read em and weep.....as you eat your crow.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Open Road
It appears the Power Pak (103" motor, etc.) is available in all the touring line up. Read em and weep.....as you eat your crow.
Well... techincally yes. But you have to step up. Meaning the Road King Standard can't get the 103 but the RKC can. So you have to choose. You want a 103 on a Road King you don't get Hard bags etc. Same thing with the Classic. You can get the 103 on the EGC or EGUC... you have to step all the way up to a an Ultra Limited. That's the only way to get a 103 on an "Electra Glide Classic".

But to tell the truth, does seem like some backstepping or apologies are in order for those that were so rude. Or we can all just laugh it off ...

Old 07-28-2010, 04:05 PM
peddler
Club Member

Originally Posted by Brettcr
Well... techincally yes. But you have to step up. Meaning the Road King Standard can't get the 103 but the RKC can. So you have to choose. You want a 103 on a Road King you don't get Hard bags etc. Same thing with the Classic. You can get the 103 on the EGC or EGUC... you have to step all the way up to a an Ultra Limited. That's the only way to get a 103 on an "Electra Glide Classic"
Depending on your perspective, the 103 motor is available either in most or all of the 2011 touring lineup excluding the CVO's of course. What I don't understand is that this is being treated like headline news. The 103 motor has been accessible for several years via the 103 big bore kit for a few(?) dollars more than being charged in 2011 and you weren't limited to any specific model.

It's also my understanding, and this one is for the real mechanics one of which I'm not, that the factory 103 isn't a "significant" upgrade in performance from the factory 96. Install the big bore kit on any 96, change the cams with possibly a little head work and you will get a bike that runs rings around a factory 103 without sacrificing reliability.

Real mechanics help me out on this one. Accurate? Not even close?

Getting an underperforming 103 from the factory is headline news?????

I'm just trying to understand all of this excitement. If Harley had made the 103 the standard touring motor without increasing the price, now that would be headlines!!!!

Quick Reply: 2011 Touring Models will have a 103 engine.