Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spotlight removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 01:27 PM
larry harding
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spotlight removal

thanks to a close encounter with an 85 year old man in a cadallac escalade, my 05 road king is in need of some repair. the left spotlight is loose, and probably the stud is bent. what kind of tool is used to turn the nut up in the turn signal bracket? the shop manual says use a flare nut socket, i thought i knew my way around tools, but i never heard of this one. when i googled flare nut socket it sent me to crow foot wrenches, i don't see how one of them would fit up in the t/s bracket to turn the nut. anybody got any ideas on this?

Old 04-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by larry harding
thanks to a close encounter with an 85 year old man in a cadallac escalade, my 05 road king is in need of some repair. the left spotlight is loose, and probably the stud is bent. what kind of tool is used to turn the nut up in the turn signal bracket? the shop manual says use a flare nut socket, i thought i knew my way around tools, but i never heard of this one. when i googled flare nut socket it sent me to crow foot wrenches, i don't see how one of them would fit up in the t/s bracket to turn the nut. anybody got any ideas on this?
Take a cheap 9/16 deep well socket and cut a slot up the side with a cut off wheel in a dremel tool. It's just one wire, so the slot doesn't have to be too wide.

If you don't have a dremel tool, pm me.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like Boog said. Your dealer and most indy's will have a socket if you want to go that route. Otherwise just make one. Here's one I did on a mill:
Use a ball-end allen wrench to drop the turn signal, leave it dangle with a sock covering it. (The turn signal, not the allen wrench )

Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 PM
larry harding
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spotlight removal

that is sort or what i had in mind unless there was a better idea. i can probably pick up a socket cheap at a flea market and make a tool.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by larry harding
that is sort or what i had in mind unless there was a better idea. i can probably pick up a socket cheap at a flea market and make a tool.
That one was a whopping $3.99 at Menards, I know I paid plenty more for the end mills a few years ago