Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK!! what about rear brake squal???

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 01:00 PM
mark2004RK
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK!! what about rear brake squal???

A LOT[!! ] of postings about front brake problems, so here's mine about the rear. I also have the front brake squal; not squeak but squal [Websters Dic.-meaning harsh] but the rear starts first. So here's what happens. When I start out riding locally brakes are ok ; but the farther and longer I ride the brakes start the squall when stopping. Like everything heats up and the clearences are starting to close in?? The rear brake starts first making the sound. What I mean by this is; I always apply my front brake first because they do about 70% of braking and then the rear. The rear brake will start the squalling first; fronts just a little. Then the longer I ride and stop the louder the rear gets; then the front starts squalling!!. I performed a run out of the rotors and all well within specs. Repalced all pads with HD [c's] latest numbers. Still the same thing. Like others; real embarrassing on a road trip, pulling up to a stop with Euro bikes already stopped and this Harley comes SQUALLING in next to them. Some of you know the look; they turn and look at you then at each other and ya know what their think'in. SOOooo does anyone have the same problem???

Old 08-10-2006, 01:07 PM
pro1955
Road Captain
Default RE: OK!! what about rear brake squal???

I have the same problem removed pads painted some MN77 (looks like a graphite paste) everywhere its contacts the calipers. so far so good. Bought it at a Honda car Dealership.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:24 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Disc brake spray or lube that can be applied to the steel back of brake pads can be found at almost any auto parts store.This dampens the vibration between the pad and the caliper when you apply the brakes and get the high pitch squeal or howl.Most aftermarket pads have accessory insulators that glue to the back of the pad that do the same thing if you want to purchase them.Top quality pads have them already on the back of the pad.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:31 PM
VROCK SE
Cruiser

I hear that Lyndall pads do not do that!

Old 08-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

I have Lyndall pads and my front brakes still squeak a little. But, not the rear brake. The bottomline is that you have should remove them and file the edges off each pad from time to time. Those disc quiet glue or spray can also help.

ORIGINAL: VROCK SE

I hear that Lyndall pads do not do that!

Old 08-10-2006, 02:52 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Foating rotors are the ONLY way to go, period! Well worth the upgrade.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:17 PM
wldhogn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fixed my brake noise permanently .. I added Performance Machine calipers and Pro-One rotors front and rear, problem solved and great brakes too. Plus a pretty cool look to enhance the chrome lowers.