Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona or HCI half D.O.T. helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 01:15 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I have the HCI and like it. I have a large and it is slightly larger than other large helmets I have. However with a doo rag it's fine.
Keep in mind that it's a carbon fiber layer over a fiberglass shell. Not truly a CF helmet.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:40 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
I Currently wear a ACC carbon fiber helmet that is being recalled so I'm in the market for a new non-mushroom half helmet. I've narrowed my search down to the Daytona carbon fiber or the HCI.
It looks like the HCI may have a smaller look but I'm concerned it may be another potential recall like ACC since it looks very similar.
The Daytona appears to be slightly beefier but may be a little safer and better quality.
The problem is I have never had my hands on either so I am deferring to the forum members to give me their opinions regarding comfort, quality and looks before I make the investment.
I've had the HCI for a few years now and no complaints whatsoever. It's not as 'low profile' as the ACC, and not as big as the Harley carbon fiber.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

I called HCI today and spoke with one of the reps. He said that none of his D.O.T. helmets have that low profile, non-mushroom look like the ACC model but of course thats why ACC if having a recall. He actually recommended I keep the ACC. Said it was decent.
I had him measure and weigh his carbon fiber helmet. The results were that HCI weighed more than Daytona and measured slightly wider from ear to ear than Daytona.
I pulled the trigger and ordered the Daytona based upon my findings today. I figure if I don't like it I'll send it back and suffer the $30 restocking fee.
I couldn't find a dealer in my area to actually see and try on the Daytona. Royal pain to purchase a helmet site unseen.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please keep us posted on how you like it. I am in the market for a new helmet and was ready to purchase and ACC and then the recall happened LOL.

Can I ask where you found dealer lists? I can't find anything to see if there are any near me.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nozzleman 216
Please keep us posted on how you like it. I am in the market for a new helmet and was ready to purchase and ACC and then the recall happened LOL.

Can I ask where you found dealer lists? I can't find anything to see if there are any near me.
I called the Daytona company and gave them my zip code.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:22 AM
Curtis629
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I"m trying to figure out a dot helmet for my fat head. I wear a size 8 hat and got use to wearing the novelty helmets when I lived in GA. Now in NC, the new law is DOT and I figured I should got ahead and get one. The Daytona skull cap is looking like the one I'll try. I"m going with a xxl first if that doesn't fit true, I'll exchange for a 3x. I"ve got a harley helmet now too. It's feels really heavy. Anyway, keep us posted on your Daytona.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:04 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
I Currently wear a ACC carbon fiber helmet that is being recalled so I'm in the market for a new non-mushroom half helmet. I've narrowed my search down to the Daytona carbon fiber or the HCI.
It looks like the HCI may have a smaller look but I'm concerned it may be another potential recall like ACC since it looks very similar.
The Daytona appears to be slightly beefier but may be a little safer and better quality.
The problem is I have never had my hands on either so I am deferring to the forum members to give me their opinions regarding comfort, quality and looks before I make the investment.
I have the HCI DOT 100 and I'm very pleased with it. My SO also has one and she's never complained either. They're good looking, comfy, well made ........... and cheap.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Daytona helmet review

Originally Posted by Nozzleman 216
I received my Daytona Carbon Fiber D.O.T. helmet today and was disapointed! The chin strap was inferior to any helmet I have ever owned which includes a Carbon Fiber (DOT) from ACC (recall) and Harley Davidson. The material used was thin and flimsy and the "D" rings were plastic. The fit was not that good, it felt as though the helmet was sitting on your head instead of your head being inside the helmt. Finally, this blew me away, when you run your hand over the helmet it was actually bumpy although not visually bumpy. I'm considering keeping my ACC. After seeing the Daytona it made me realize the ACC Carbon Fiber looked and felt like a gem. I must also say that HD helmets are also good quality but of course you get that mushroom effect.
Incidently, the Daytona gives the wearer a mushroom look too.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Neal Smith
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a large acc in good shape let me know if you want to get rid of it as long as it has the dot sticker thanks.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:38 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 452 Likes on 129 Posts

Not part of your short list but I recently picked up a Scorpion EXO 100 after a lot of research and very happy with it.

Quick Reply: Daytona or HCI half D.O.T. helmet?