Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hd oil cooler gasket help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:37 PM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default hd oil cooler gasket help

question for those who installed the harley oil cooler. the gasket looks like a smiley face: two cuts on top that looks likes eyes and then a big cut out on the bottom that looks like the mouth. on the back oil filter adapter mount, there is a large cut out like the mouth part on the gasket. from the first picture on the instructions, this appears right, but on the second picture of the instructions, it's lined up differently. does the mouth part of the gasket line up with the mouth part of oil adapter? seems right to me. and why the hell are there two little "eye" cut outs on the gasket when there is no eye cut outs on the back of the oil adapter? seems like there is no reason for those two cut outs.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:08 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I wondered the same thing when I did mine. If I remember correctly it really only fits one way, putting it on the filter base first, and the little piece between the "eyes" crosses the opening of the housing (I think). I do remember it only fits one way correctly.

Mark

Old 04-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
I wondered the same thing when I did mine. If I remember correctly it really only fits one way, putting it on the filter base first, and the little piece between the "eyes" crosses the opening of the housing (I think). I do remember it only fits one way correctly.

Mark
You are correct. I would also recommend to the OP that a sealer be used on the engine side of the gasket to prevent leakage. Don't ask how I know. I think I used Permatex Gasket maker.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:02 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

It will only go on one way. I use Hylomar on the adapter side to hold the gasket in place while installing.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:35 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup will only install one way, i didnt use the hylomar, just torqued it up, but it sounds like a good idea.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:21 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcanrun
question for those who installed the harley oil cooler. the gasket looks like a smiley face: two cuts on top that looks likes eyes and then a big cut out on the bottom that looks like the mouth. on the back oil filter adapter mount, there is a large cut out like the mouth part on the gasket. from the first picture on the instructions, this appears right, but on the second picture of the instructions, it's lined up differently. does the mouth part of the gasket line up with the mouth part of oil adapter? seems right to me. and why the hell are there two little "eye" cut outs on the gasket when there is no eye cut outs on the back of the oil adapter? seems like there is no reason for those two cut outs.
Here's a picture of the corret alignment for the gasket. A good tip I learned is to also put a light film of gasket sealer on the gasket to help hold it to the adapter to help seal and keep it from rotating during the install.

Attached Thumbnails hd oil cooler gasket help-oil-20cooler-20001.jpg  

Last edited by SGLarry; 04-23-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:40 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Definitely use some gasket sealer to keep it in place during installation.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:59 AM
oscarg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I installed mine I wondered the same thing. It looks goofy by will only go on one way

Old 04-23-2010, 01:37 PM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SGLarry
Here's a picture of the corret alignment for the gasket. A good tip I learned is to also put a light film of gasket sealer on the gasket to help hold it to the adapter to help seal and keep it from rotating during the install.

THANKS for the picture. This explains it to me.