Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Give!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Airborne314
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Give!

Well... I spent about 4 hrs trying to do the internal wiring on my Carlini's last night. Ran the left side no problem but caught hell trying to do the right side with the TBW and other harness. I did everything I could to make them as small as possible buy staggering the splices, soldering the wires and using shrink wrap. On the third attempt the damn thing got stuck in the bars and wouldnt come out. Finally got it out but cut and destroyed some of the wires doing it. Anyway, this morning I took the bars to the shop to have them do it. Will have the bars back by Tues.. Cant belive I couldnt get it! Sucks but what you gonna do?

Last edited by Airborne314; 04-22-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne314
Sucks but what you gonna do?
It is not impossible. One advantage to getting older is learning patience and that walking away from something difficult and returning later usually results in finding a solution. Several things come to mind, but you have already given up. Hope they don't rape you too bad.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

For future reference. You have to shrink wrap both sets of wires. You already did good by staggering splices. But What you may not have done was use some sort of slickem. I would have used actual electrical wire soap but to keep from buying it I used what I had around the house, petroleom jelly, aka vaseline. It don't take a lot, just a thin coat on the wire bundles. Pull with the lead line, I used a piece of mig wire, and feed the tail. May take a few tries but that's how I did it.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:42 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I wired my Wild 1's in about 15 minutes. They are the 14" 576's and I had JUST enough wire to make it through the bars BEFORE i extended the wires...Sucked a cotton ball with a dental floss tail through the bars, tied the floss onto the stock wires and gently pulled them through. Then I added the NAMZ extensions I got from Johnny Vaughn. Slicker than slick.
(I realize this approach won't work on taller bars.)

Old 04-23-2010, 12:23 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Now just imagine that in 6 1/2 hours at the dealer the whole job ( wires extended, run internally, clutch cable and brake lines) would have been complete and youd be riding it.

Most bars that come "pre drilled" need a lot of work on the holes so that the wires will pull through and not get tore up. Takes a light touch with a die grinder to get the edges so that they are not sharp. Did a set today and will do another tomarrow.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:16 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne314
Well... I spent about 4 hrs trying to do the internal wiring on my Carlini's last night. Ran the left side no problem but caught hell trying to do the right side with the TBW and other harness. I did everything I could to make them as small as possible buy staggering the splices, soldering the wires and using shrink wrap. On the third attempt the damn thing got stuck in the bars and wouldnt come out. Finally got it out but cut and destroyed some of the wires doing it. Anyway, this morning I took the bars to the shop to have them do it. Will have the bars back by Tues.. Cant belive I couldnt get it! Sucks but what you gonna do?
Hate laugh but... I can feel your frustrations in your words brother! Especially the last 2 sentences! But, you knew when enough was enough, give it to the pro's & F' it!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:52 AM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

mine were a biotch also. I sprayed a little WD40 in the bars, but it was really just trial and error to get them through. My big snag was my TBW cutouts in the bars were too small, and it wouldn't fit. Just got the file out and worked it for awhile until it fit like a glove. I just made sure my solder joints were good and shrink wrap was tight, then wrapped them VERY tight with electrical tape. The yanking didn't do any harm then.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Arv
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fettle all holes with a needle file , or small modelers grinder until completely smooth, if you can twist your little finger round inside the hole with no stitches required your ready to install...lol

Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Airborne314
Cruiser

Yeah, I did the shrink wrap and WD40 but still couldnt get it. I did intend on doing it again till I DESTROYED the wires getting them out on the last attempt. I did not file the holes so that would have been good to know. The holes on the Carlini bars are very small.. The stock handlebars have way bigger holes.Anyway, the pro's got it now and it will be done. By the way, my freakin fingers and thumb are still sore as crap!

Old 04-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Just did the Klock Werks +2 sweepers yesterday, wasn't too bad. Course I have the outer and inner fairing off ( getting painted) and that I'm sure helped a lot. I found that folding back the black connector and pulling the green connector through first followed by the black connector made it easy. Both wound not go through the indent area of the bars.

Just some FYI ( you old dogs know about this) I used military trip wire as a pull wire. Tough as nails, won't brake and easy to wrap around the wires...worked great. If you can score some it's nice to have around.

Quick Reply: I Give!