Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Where was your crash?
On the Freeway
9.84%
On a surface street or country road
91.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

If you or know someone how had a Crash

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:07 PM
tidefan60
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think most miles are driven on surface roads (country, state, and city) probably 90 % so it would seem reasonable for most crashes to occur on local roads instead of the freeway. Personally I would think the freeway is safer because of better roads, and long stretches. It will probably be more crowded with cagers, but you have to ride defensibly whether on the hwy, or country.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:40 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 bad crashes, only one on a 2-wheeler. I was following another bike too close, he slams on the brakes for God-knows-why, and I hit him , tire to tire. When a front tire thats moving hits something that isn't, it climbs. So the bike went straight up into the air, and fell down on my leg. Broke both bones in my lower leg. This was only a 25mph wreck, but was a PITA for sure. On slow neighborhood street.

Other wreck was on an ATV. I was terribly drunk, going terribly fast, and didn't make a turn. Got PARALYZED from the neck down, 100%. Several surgeries, a 4-level bone fusion, a steel plate and 8 titanium bolts later and I can function. Will be on pain-killers for life, but am lucky to be alive and walking. Lesson learned, don't drink and drive, PERIOD. I know everyone has heard it and been preached to about it, but I'll say it again. DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE, ANYTHING!

Old 04-25-2010, 06:04 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Crash poll....

given that most of us put way more miles on secondary roads and streets, I think its a given that more 'lay-downs' would occur on the secondaries.

An 'old biker friend' of mine once told me "There are two kinds of bike riders; them that have laid down their scoots and them who are going to."

Old 04-25-2010, 10:37 AM
chiefparry
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great response, Thanks to all. I'm not surprised about the out come, 90% happen on none freeway roads. Makes sense that we ride mostly on side streets and country roads thats the fun part. A point, it would seem we have to take side roads to get to the freeways, daa! I'll see if this makes a difference with the wife, I doubt it will.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Sporty93
Intermediate

When I was a student in '84 my rear end washed out on an El Paso freeway. I had an entertaining slide but no injury and didn't hit my head. That's also the same year when I was still broke and stopped wearing underwear so I wouldn't have to launder it. (This would be a new thread).

Last year at Sturgis a friend of mine on a Wing hit another friend of mine on an ultra, right on the main drag, because his breather box (or whatever that thing is on a wing that's were the gas tank should be) was getting a cell phone call. His ankle was shattered; it healed wrong. Doctors re-broke it this spring for a better result.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:31 PM
JKAHD
Advanced
Default Crash

Had a deer run out of some bushes right in front of me on a suburban side street. Hit him doing 45 and went over the bars. I had a full face helmet which saved me. I landed right on the left side of my face and shoulder.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:04 PM
natetp1227
Advanced
Default 2 Major Crashes

Who hasn't just dropped their bike?!?! My first major crash was in '07. I was in upstate NY just outside Sarnac Lakes. I was coming around a sweeping turn going about 70 MPH and a deer jumped from below the road. This was up in the mountains with deep gullys. I didn't go down and just rode right through the deer sending it flying in the air and killing it on contact. A car behind me stopped to check if I was ok and then I waited for the Highway Patrol. Luckily he had a pry bar so I was able to pry the front fender off the tire and keep riding. I was a celebrity that night in town! Second, major accident was in '09, with my brand new bike. Landscape truck with a trailer cut across my lane to make a u-turn and I crashed into the front quarter panel and door. After waiting 6 weeks for my bike to get fixed I got right back on and put on over 21,000 miles last year. That included a trek to Alaska from Milwaukee!

Old 04-25-2010, 02:16 PM
QQVEPY
Intermediate

In nearly 30 years of street riding, I have never gone down (Knock on wood). However, I've dropped, rolled & flipped dirtbikes quite a bit but that is a whole different kind of riding.