Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Where was your crash?
On the Freeway
9.84%
On a surface street or country road
91.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

If you or know someone how had a Crash

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 04:38 PM
BigAlsRK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I went down coming off of a hard road onto a gravel road...happend fast...knocked me out....she said we slid about 30 feet....she had some road rash and hurt ribs....I had a broken hand, road rash, a nice head injury (no helmet) and a broken rib. 3 months in a cast....got the cast off on a Friday....we were on the road Saturday morning.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:39 PM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain

I went with the Most accidents as I have crashed at one time on another on just about all types of Roads. I think for me City driving is the worse and where I'm most alert to danger.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:45 PM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Little Mike
The only thing to keep in mind statistically is this. Number of opportunities to have an accident. How much more time do we spend on twisties vs. freeways? If you go riding 100 times and only go on the freeway 20 of those times, the opportunity for the accident to occuring on a non-freeway stretch of road is 4x higher.
Or 5x... depending on your math.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:54 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

My father had two accidents in all his years of riding. Both were on city streets, one in town, the other just outside of town on RT 1 in Danville, IL.
I have only been down one time, it was on an exit ramp of the interstate.
Either way, If I was to ride without a helmet in a state where it's permissible. (Like IL.) I would do it on the interstate, NOT in town....

Last edited by JimTJr; 04-22-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess we all are going to crash once!

Old 04-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

My opinion, nothing more.

Side streets, country roads etc and far more dangerous than Interstates or freeways.

1. no side streets on interstates, no one to pull out from driveways or cross streets.

2. no left turns in front of you

3. generally prople are more alert on interstates.

4. surface of the road itself is better on interstates.

5. 4 lanes,

6. wider roads

7. surface drains rain better on interstates.

8. no farm vehicles ( nothing wrong with them)

9. larger shoulder for vehicles to pull off roadway

10. curves and hills are better designed on interstates

I'm sure there are a bunch more....but you and her should get where I coming from.
All this being said I love the country roads a lot better than a interstate, you just have to be a lot more alert and watch out for idiots....

Old 04-22-2010, 05:09 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Many, many more accidents on other than freeways. Simple reason, more folks ride on two laner, country road and prefer NOT to ride the freeways. Volume.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:17 PM
meepers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will quantify my double response..

I have been down on the street 3 times.

2 surface streets, both within a mile of my house.

Once hit by a 900 year old lady in a cadi as I was pulling into a parking lot. *She shouldnt have been driving* it was a 4 mph impact.

2nd surface street crash, I was on my GSXR750, On my way to work... I had a race 2 days before, and was running full on racing slicks on my bike. tires were cold, I gave it a bit too much gass pulling out onto the main road, tire broke loose, went to lowside, and hooked up the last second throwing me off the high side. TOTALLY MY OWN FAULT.

3rd accident was on the freeway. 2am, I was coming home, Drunk was messing with me, so I left him far behind, few miles up was layin down on my gas tank not watching my mirrors, He came flying up behind me, I was doing 65, he had to be going 80+. back tire locked up and down I went. He nearly ran me over backing up shouting thats what I get before taking off. Had I been more proactive, I could have avoided that accident, but I figured he was far behind me. Learning experiance. Back before cellphones.

Oh.. and I almost get killed more on surface streets in a week then I do on the freeway in a year.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, 20 out of the 100 would be 1/5 leaving you with 80 or 4/5 and 4/5 would be 4x greater than 1/5

Old 04-22-2010, 06:00 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by BigAlsRK
My wife and I went down coming off of a hard road onto a gravel road...happend fast...knocked me out....she said we slid about 30 feet....she had some road rash and hurt ribs....I had a broken hand, road rash, a nice head injury (no helmet) and a broken rib. 3 months in a cast....got the cast off on a Friday....we were on the road Saturday morning.
Just because I'm curios: Do you wear a helmet now because of that accident?

Quick Reply: If you or know someone how had a Crash