Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem removing ECU.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Problem removing ECU.

I really want to order a PCV for my bike from Jamie at Fuelmoto, but I see from tutorials that I have to remove the ECM. OK, seems simple enough, until one of the screws holding it on seems to be spining and not coming out.
I'm not sure what's in there holding it, but I think it's a brass insert in the plastic and it must have been overtighten by the last guy.
So how do I get the damn thing out now?

Old 04-21-2010, 11:03 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Yep brass in plastic, you get to cut the head off the bolt to remove the ECM, but why are you removing it? You only have to disconnect the harness plug from the ECM then install the PC in between the ECM and harness.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

I don't really know much about it, but I remember watching a video and just read one, were they tell you to remover the ECM. Maybe to open up the spot where you istall the PCV.
Also, I haven't looked at this problem for a few months, but it seems to me that the head of the bolt I will be trying to remove is recess int he plastic of the ECM box. So how do I cut it off?

Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
I don't really know much about it, but I remember watching a video and just read one, were they tell you to remover the ECM. Maybe to open up the spot where you istall the PCV.
Also, I haven't looked at this problem for a few months, but it seems to me that the head of the bolt I will be trying to remove is recess int he plastic of the ECM box. So how do I cut it off?
Drill it out till the head pops off.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

See that's what I was thinkin', but I was also thinkin' I'd get the drill in far enough to completely eliminate any part of the head that you could get a tool onto to turn it, and then the bit will start spinning the whole damn thing, just like the wrench is now.
Not saying your idea isn't going to work, I'm just concerned a little with what I'd do if it doesn't wok.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Maybe I should try turning the screw and prying on the ECM. Might pull the screw and insert right out?

Old 04-22-2010, 09:00 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
I really want to order a PCV for my bike from Jamie at Fuelmoto, but I see from tutorials that I have to remove the ECM. OK, seems simple enough, until one of the screws holding it on seems to be spining and not coming out.
I'm not sure what's in there holding it, but I think it's a brass insert in the plastic and it must have been overtighten by the last guy.
So how do I get the damn thing out now?
Mine did the same thing when I tried to remove it for who knows what reason, but certainly not to install the PCV. I just gave up and decided to leave it alone.

Anyway, your '06 does not require an ECU removal to install the PCV. Just put the PCV on top the ECU and secure it with some long wire-ties, or link-up two normal 8" ties. It's a very quick, easy, plug-and-play install.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Thank Bob, that's just what i wanted to hear. I'm having hot start problems, and wanted to get a tuner, so maybe I can cure two birds with one stone.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:25 AM
LansingX
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't remove the ECU. I am surprised that someone hasn't stated that already. When you install the PCV, you simply unplug the harness from the ECU and the PCV plugs in. It will be clear when you receive your PCV. BTW, never trust the stuff you see on You Tube. There are a bunch of pranksters out there in cyberland.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Thanks,
I was probably looking at the instal for a PC III. since it's larger, it probably needed to go in under the battery.

Quick Reply: Problem removing ECU.