Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King shift linkage

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011 | 01:35 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
in this case, i think loctite is unnecessary. there really isn't any way for the heim joints to fall off. if one loosens, the other tightens. i also did the extra step of using a 5/16 nut on each end of the shift rod as a 'lock'.
jam nuts or loctite, different paths for the same result.

Old 07-29-2011 | 02:35 PM
Sporty302
Advanced

Check the transmission shift lever where the rear of the shifter rod attaches. Use a flashlight while leaning over the seat to examine the shift lever for movement while pushing and pulling on the shifter rod assembly. I'm betting your shift lever is loose on the transmission shift shaft splines. Had to do this repair on my son's 02 RK since the soft metal teeth on the shift lever had worn down after loosening up and could no longer be tightened on the splines of the tranny shift shaft. By the way, for an 02 RK we had to pull the primary drive and inner case off to allow for R & R of the shift lever. Newer bikes have an indentation on the back of the inner primary so that the lever can be loosened and slid off the tranny shift shaft w/o pulling the primary (not sure what year this was added).
As part of this repair I added H-D heim joints to the orignal shift rod assembly and it's tight now with no foward/aft slop!

Old 12-03-2011 | 10:23 AM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member

I just installed my Road King shift linkage with heim joints on mine. Instructions showed the front shift linkage point going behind the shifter lever(offset from back). Mine didn't have clearance. The bolt head would scrape the cooling fins. I put it on the outside, took it for a spin, and it works fine.

Old 12-03-2011 | 10:28 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by emwolb
if you've got slop in the shifter after installing the new linkage, you might find that the play is somewhere else.
Yeah check to make sure your slop in the link at the tranny shaft, if so do a search. There's various threads on the subject that might help.

Old 12-03-2011 | 10:40 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
You can pick up the rod ends (heim joints) at most hardware stores, or you can buy them off ebay. Go to ebay and search for "harley heim" or "harley rod end" or "harley shift linkage".
I bought one of the kits off ebay and have been happy with it. It gets the job done and the shifts are definitely more positive with the heim joints vs. the original ball and socket shifter ends.

Old 12-03-2011 | 12:15 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimmything
I just installed my Road King shift linkage with heim joints on mine. Instructions showed the front shift linkage point going behind the shifter lever(offset from back). Mine didn't have clearance. The bolt head would scrape the cooling fins. I put it on the outside, took it for a spin, and it works fine.
OK, so I'm glad I'm not the only one that read the instructions that way - the instructions are *wrong* of course!

Old 12-03-2011 | 04:36 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
OK, so I'm glad I'm not the only one that read the instructions that way - the instructions are *wrong* of course!
Wonder who's writing those instructions?