Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a traditional RK handlebar cover on RK Custom? (no duckbill)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:16 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Damn, you're already wavering. Leave it on man. Yeah, go ahead and remove the tank badges. Gawd forbid your FLHRS gets mistaken for a RK or RKC. Please don't swap out the bags.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 PM
meepers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I woulda kept my bike as a RK, I woulda went with the RKC bags, they are nice looking. My dad had a smoky gold RKC loved it, its what made me get my RK. I have his duckbill in my parts bin. I bet it would look sweet blacked out with the extended nacelle.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:13 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
damn, you're already wavering. Leave it on man. Yeah, go ahead and remove the tank badges. Gawd forbid your flhrs gets mistaken for a rk or rkc. Please don't swap out the bags. :d
lol!

Old 04-21-2010, 09:24 PM
DWhite
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was one of the first things I took of my old '04 Custom when I got it. You will need a new handlebar clamp cover and new nacelle trim piece.
The nacelle trim piece you have now will not work as it will not be long enough for the new clamp cover.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Xguy
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I got $20.00 that says he won't take it off, and the reason is Ken brought up a very valid point, the speedo would be highr then the front end if he did, now she looks like an iron horse, and if you take that off she will look like an iron hump back.
DO NOT DO IT

Old 04-21-2010, 11:02 PM
DWhite
Tourer

The speedo is no different on a standard RK as it is on a RK Custom.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DWhite
That was one of the first things I took of my old '04 Custom when I got it. You will need a new handlebar clamp cover and new nacelle trim piece.
The nacelle trim piece you have now will not work as it will not be long enough for the new clamp cover.
+1 on that point, new riser cover a must. As to how it might look without the duck bill? Does this help? My old '04. Had a couple different bars on it at times. Then went with these. Not a "regular" bar you'd see on a RK, but worked OK for me.
And, nope, the dealer didn't get them in the trade!

Attached Thumbnails Installing a traditional RK handlebar cover on RK Custom?  (no duckbill)-dscn0588.jpg   Installing a traditional RK handlebar cover on RK Custom?  (no duckbill)-dscn0590.jpg  
Old 04-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DWhite
As above, hardest part is the tiny little nuts up in the headlamp can. Regular RK parts go right on though and you can always go back if ya change your mind.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Xguy
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Butcher
+1 on that point, new riser cover a must. As to how it might look without the duck bill? Does this help? My old '04. Had a couple different bars on it at times. Then went with these. Not a "regular" bar you'd see on a RK, but worked OK for me.
And, nope, the dealer didn't get them in the trade!
you can't make the comparison with the bike you posted, for two reasons:

1- first of your riser is not the looks of the original RK riser, so how can he tell how would his bike look

2- the void created by the removal of the deflector, is in your case filled up with a really nice tach (presuming that's what that is )

Yes the only reason I would remove mine would be to install a tach.
good looking bike BTW

Old 04-21-2010, 11:51 PM
DWhite
Tourer

How it will look without the duck bill will be exactly the same way it look on any RK Standard or RK Classic. There is no mystery here....why is it assumed it will look odd or look like a void?

Quick Reply: Installing a traditional RK handlebar cover on RK Custom? (no duckbill)