Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra Glide Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010 | 10:44 AM
pearlwhite
|
Cruiser
Default Electra Glide Windshield

I just bought a 2010 EGC and cannot get used to looking through the windshield. It is the standard clear 12 inch size.

I am 5'11" and have been looking at the 8 inch Clearview recurve windshield. I do not want to wind up dealing with head buffeting and am curious about anyone's experience with this product.

Understand, there may be a long lead time to get the windshield unless I settle with one that has a blimish.

Your advice is appreciated.

Old 04-20-2010 | 10:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member

The best compromise is to have your shield nose high. In other words you can see comfortably over the top of it. There are a couple of brands with upturned tops that might help tip the incoming air up to reduce any buffetting.

Here's another thread with what I have in mind.

Last edited by grbrown; 04-20-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 04-20-2010 | 11:02 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member

I have a Clearview with the recurve and love it. On occasion I get a little buffeting but its minimal; at your height you could go with the next size up and that would lessen any buffeting you might experience. I have found that buffeting depends on a number of variables; not just the height. For example; if I wear my 3/4 helmet with the face shield on; its smooth riding; if I take of the face shield and wear my goggles I get buffeting.

Old 04-20-2010 | 11:25 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

We're about same height and I have both a 8" & 9.5" Clearview. If it were me I'd go with the 9.5" and you should still be able to see over it. I run the 8" only in hot summer and more local riding but run the 9.5" primarily. Go with a blem you won't know difference.

Old 04-20-2010 | 11:31 AM
kyote
Road Master

Originally Posted by acchd
......If it were me I'd go with the 9.5" and you should still be able to see over it......... Go with a blem you won't know difference.......
I agree 100%......

Old 04-20-2010 | 01:39 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer

I'm 5'11" but have a bad back and slouch when I ride and get tired. I put tape on the stock windshield at various heights and rode it several miles. 8" seemed about right. Was going to order a Clearview but I went to the Arizona Bike Week last week and they were there. They said to bring my bike down and they would set different heights on it to see how I liked them. Said I could ride around with the windshield on the bike as long as I didn't remove the protective tape. I went with the 8" as originally planned, but did get the light smoke instead of clear. Looked better on my black denim bike. It's a motorcycle, you get some buffeting no matter what you have. It doesn't seem materially worse than with the stock windshield. Depends on what helmet I have on and what direction the wind is blowing out on the freeway. More buffeting seems to be caused by wind coming under the fairing than over the windshield. I couldn't believe how much more enjoyable the ride is looking over the windshield than through it. The view is much clearer. Just got back from 80 miles down the freeway and you can see the windshield is covered in bugs. I didn't get any, they either hit the windshield or went up and over. A 9" would also work for me (although I like the view of the open road I get with the 8") and if you sit straight most of the time that would probably also be a good choice. Clearview installed the one I have for $79.00. I think its a blem, but I sure can't find anything wrong with it.

Old 04-20-2010 | 02:44 PM
pearlwhite
|
Cruiser

Thanks, I really appreciate the replies. Great help.

Old 04-20-2010 | 02:48 PM
GzrGlide
Road Captain

I just put a 9" FastAire on this weekend and went for a 300 mile ride. Worked great!
I'm 5'9" ish. 30 inch inseam.

Old 04-20-2010 | 11:59 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior

A china marker (grease pencil) or a small piece of masking tape -- Find the right height before you start ordering shields. Ride around for a bit with the tape/marker and get it right the first time.

Old 04-21-2010 | 06:05 AM
pearlwhite
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JohnScrip
A china marker (grease pencil) or a small piece of masking tape -- Find the right height before you start ordering shields. Ride around for a bit with the tape/marker and get it right the first time.
Good idea. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Electra Glide Windshield