Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So there I am again

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:09 AM
SwissMiss
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So there I am again

A few weeks ago you guys helped me through the steps of changing the light bulp from my road king head light. Now the bulp just burnt through again last saturday night. I think I know what the problem is this time, but I need advice how to fix it.
The inside glas of the headlight is faint yellow and dull. It looks like the headlights of my truck, which always have condensation water in it (but those light bulps work just fine and I dont mind the dullness). So I guess maybe the rubber O ring did not do the job. I wonder if someone had the same experience and has any advice. Will that glass be clear again when it is dry, or does it need special attention. I know my trucks headlights will not be shiny again, i tried some cleaning products before...

Thanks for all the answers.
Carla

Old 04-20-2010, 08:20 AM
GzrGlide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't get the yellow tint off the inside of the light, replace the light unit itself. It 's one thing to have that issue with with the car/truck, but you're already vulnerable on the bike, so I woulldn't make it any worse.

If the issue is a sealing issue between the bulb and the light housing, then maybe the combination of a new bulb and a new housing will fix that. If tnot, you can always try a little bit of silicone around the seal between the bulb and the housing.

If this is the second bulb in a few weeks, there's definitely an issue. I'm on my second bulb in almost 60,000 miles.

Would be interesting to know where the yellow tint came from though.

Good luck.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:45 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Don't touch the glass on the bulb, fingerprints (oil) will create hotspots and cause the bulb to burn out, if you do accidentally touch the bulb clean it with alcohol.
I wear clean gloves when changing bulbs.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:14 AM
SwissMiss
Intermediate

@piasspj: I was very aware not to touch the light bulp. It must be a humidity issue.

@GzrGlide: Thanks for your input, I am not sure, but I could imagine the bike headlight is another material as in my truck... So it might be just humidity build up in the inside. Silicon is a good thought, what about the rubber ring, that seems to be a weak link to me as well?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I gotta ask - what's a "bulp"?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 AM
SwissMiss
Intermediate

Sorry, light BULB, but I guess you could have figured that out... You can tell, english is not my first language, it is actually my fourth... hahaha nice typo...

Last edited by SwissMiss; 04-20-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:53 PM
SwissMiss
Intermediate

So I was referred to a bike mechanic, and drove over this morning. I told him how I replaced the last bulb and the only thing he said: "I dont know, I dont think we would do it different than you did... " He did not even offered to look at it. Well, that was not very helpful. I guess I will give it a second try tonight myself and see how that project turns out...
Any suggestion very welcome...
Carla

Old 04-20-2010, 02:13 PM
kyote
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SwissMiss
@piasspj: I was very aware not to touch the light bulp. It must be a humidity issue.
..its the oils on your fingers that do it...

Old 04-20-2010, 02:19 PM
jaqmes
Cruiser

you may have just bought a bad bulb. they do get tossed around during shipping. as for the moisture I drilled a 1/8 hole in the bottom of the bucket just behind the lens lets the bucket breathe.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:13 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i don't know if this has anything to do with your yellowing headlight, but they're made entirely out of plastic. if the plug irritates you as much as mine did, you can also replace it with one made out of bakelite rather than the plastic one harley uses. napa has them and they're napa part number LS6235 all it requires is a good solder joint and some good quality=thick heat shrink tubing. i have hated that new style of headlight plug since they came out. not a bad idea to add a bit of dielectric grease on the contacts when you plug it in. the napa part costs five bucks, and the material, bakelite is the same heat proof stuff that distributor caps are made of. far superior to the nylon plug, and you can unplug it easy compared to harleys puzzle type of connector.

Quick Reply: So there I am again