Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra glide police. Changing the stock seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 06:39 PM
nhtaskforce
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electra glide police. Changing the stock seat

I'm sure this has been covered before, but any help would be appreciated.

I recently purchased a 07 Electra Glide Police. I was wondering what would need to be done to swap out the stock police seat, and remove the tour-pack mount on the rear of the bike? I assume the air tank will have to be relocated or removed. Are there any companies that sell a conversion kit?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

You're wanting to put a conventional seat on your bike? Just take off the old stuff. It takes about 10-15 minutes to take it all off, including the air bladder. The little air tank just comes off with the rack, leaving the chrome loop. You can get a license plate mount to relocate your plate if you're not gonna use a tp.

Any seat that fits an 07 e-glide will fit your bike. You don't need a conversion kit. I tried a Mustang seat on my bike before I settled on a Corbin. I've got a RK, but it's essentially the same thing.

If your air ride seat is in good shape, sell it on ebay. A complete air ride seat with all the stuff that goes with it should bring about 125 or so on ebay.

Last edited by Mike; 04-19-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

exactly what bood...dude said. i just did this. was lucky enought to sell it all on ebay very quickly and it paid for my mustang seat on craigslist. i had to but the rear fender screw thing, but any dealer can help you with that. i already had the rear tire off so it was easy - not sure if it can be done without taking the tire off.

tin

Old 04-19-2010, 09:22 PM
robfaulkner
Cruiser
Default Installing the fender nut for the seat...

I easily installed it without removing the tire. Long needle nose pliers (with the 45 deg angled tip) can reach in there, then just slip on the e-clip.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Attach it to a line, pull it up and slip on the clip.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:42 PM
gman116
Advanced

I would suggest keeping the air seat. I'm on my second police bike and think the air ride is the most comfortable out there. If you take the air tank off of the rear rack, you can cut the bracket off and relocate the air tank underneath the left side cover. I did this with my 02 Police Road King and it worked out great. As far as a passenger seat, Mustang makes a passenger pilon that has the same textured pattern as the police solo seat. Let us know what you decide to do.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:58 AM
nhtaskforce
Novice

Thanks for the advice. I had no idea that it was that easy. I agree that the stock police seat is very comfortable. The only problem is that I'm a shorter guy and can't get my feet flat on the ground with the stock seat. I really just want to remove the tour-pack mount for cosmetic reasons.

Last edited by nhtaskforce; 04-20-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Gus FLHP
Stage III

I'm 6'1" and couldn't stand flat footed on my 2009 FLHP with the stock seat. I swapped it out with a pillow top mustang seat which improved my ride 100%. No extra hardware required

I'm struggling with finding a way to mount a backrest without having to take off the tour pack mount and installing a new license plate mount. Any pointers???

Old 04-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Lots of guys like the air ride seat, and good for them. For me, it moved me too close to the tank, and I felt like I was sitting too high. Couldn't ever get used to it, although I tried. Kept it for about a month, then gave up. As far as asthetics, the Corbin solo I have on now is light years from the stock cop seat. That cheap 2 dollar plastic tray covering the battery is indefensible on a 18 thousand dollar machine. I wish I had some better before shots.....

Lots of work later......

Old 02-11-2011, 09:59 AM
cwilliamc
5th Gear

GOOD discussions: Here is one. I am looking to pick up an '09 or '10 Electra Glide-FLHTP this spring. I've ridden them with the police seat and the stock seat. At 6'2" I feel that both of the seats put me too close to the tank! Also, the floorboards made my knees up so that I felt I was sitting on my tailbone. Is there a seat arrangement that I can move BACK about 3-5", and a kit that will allow the floorboards to move forward?? I really liked a friend of mine's Corbin, but I will need to put a seat for the misses...smile.

Last edited by cwilliamc; 02-11-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Electra glide police. Changing the stock seat