Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Clicking / Tapping noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Just Don
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish there was some current comments on this. I have the same issue, forward and reverse rolling down the drive with the engine off. Put in on the lift and couldn't isolate the location of the sound. Since I had recently replaced the transmission drive sprocket, I started thinking maybe I should have replaced the rear sprocket at the same time. After very close inspection I noticed if I placed my fingers on the belt at the rear of the sprocket and turned the wheel,every six inches or so it would "pop". I could feel it more than hear it. I'm thinking maybe a mismatch on the belt and sprocket teeth. Original belt and rear sprocket with 85K miles on them. Belt looks great. Sprocket "valleys" are loosing the polished finish. Comments please...

Old 07-15-2014, 09:39 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

i noticed the sound in question from the op's description too,just last week
backing out of the driveway.bike has 51k ,sounds like an old skate board's ball bearings tapping(engine off,faint but there).I think ive hear it before now that i think of it.From my experence from bearings going bad its when they start howling and grumbleing,or whistling and then they still could look ok and run in that obnoxious way for miles so im just going to keep an eye on it and check again at my next tire change in 5 to 10k miles.

Interesting about the vent hose rubbing the belt post even though this is an old thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,629 Likes on 1,626 Posts

i had that same sound on my five speed bike, it turned out to be the main drive gear bearing in the trans. took tension off the belt and it was quite, put alittle tension back on it and it made noise. trans felt smooth as could be without and tension on it. replaced main drive gear bearing and all has been fine for 16 thousand miles.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:45 AM
Just Don
Cruiser

Thanks Hardheaded. I went through that end of it a couple thousand miles ago. New drive sprocket and all bearings and seals. I just ordered a new belt and rear sprocket so everything will be new. I do have some wear on the rear sprocket, and I'm hoping it's a slight misalignment of the belt and sprocket teeth. I have 85K on both items so I'm justifying this as preventive maintenance.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:28 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anti rattle spring?

Old 07-18-2014, 06:42 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TickTock
Well bad bearing was at 19600.

However, the clicking noise that I started this thread with still exists. The bearings were replaced by a different dealership since I ended up having to be towed in. So now I have a new IDS bearing and two new bearings in the wheel. When I spin the wheel the noise sounds as if it is coming from inside the IDS unit.

When I had the IDS bearing replaced the tech said he checked the rubber inside the of it and they did not look worn. I am at a loss to what could be causing this issue...
You can seldom look at a bearing and diagnose that it is bad, unless it is something glaringly obvious like rust or debris in the race. If this continues to bother you replace the bearing and then you will know for sure if it was a bad bearing noise or something else. Lots of Harley wheel bearings have failed early. When you make a bike using the low cost bidder for everything you are going to have problems with everything sooner than if you used quality parts. That is the reality of today.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Just Don
Cruiser

Mine resolved itself when I removed the wheel to inspect the bearings. Bearings were fine, and the noise went away after reinstallation. I suspect something associated with the brake pads and rotor. Anyway it's quiet again.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:16 PM
merlin 2
Tourer

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

new tires and new bearings are installed at the time that is how i do it :-)

Old 09-10-2014, 09:23 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Don
Mine resolved itself when I removed the....
same here, when I replaced the ipb and race last week.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It was a playing card held against the spokes by a clothes pin.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Clicking / Tapping noise