Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Clicking / Tapping noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:23 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TickTock
Well bad bearing was at 19600.

However, the clicking noise that I started this thread with still exists. The bearings were replaced by a different dealership since I ended up having to be towed in. So now I have a new IDS bearing and two new bearings in the wheel. When I spin the wheel the noise sounds as if it is coming from inside the IDS unit.

When I had the IDS bearing replaced the tech said he checked the rubber inside the of it and they did not look worn. I am at a loss to what could be causing this issue...
Here's what I think it may be. This happen on my '09 Ultra Classic. Somehow, someone has got the fuel tank hard plastic vent tub out of position. On mine, it was rubbing against the inside of the drive belt notches only when pushing the scooter in reverse. Yours could be doing the samething in either direction.

Remove the seat and find the fuel tank vent line that comes out below the left rear side of the fuel tank. Trace where it goes and pull up on it and see if that takes away the ckicking sound.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a piece of casting slag in my hub, and it's too big to fit through the small slots in the spokes. It doesn't make noise now, since I think centrifugal force has lodged it somewhere in the wheel. It's not causing any problems other then the noise every now and then.
Also I think I can remove it once I remove the wheel bearings and the long spacer beteen them.
I had to take the wheel off to see it floating around in there. I noticed it before I put on my IDS.
Might be something to look at?

Last edited by Scorpion07; 04-24-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:18 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bikes
Here's what I think it may be. This happen on my '09 Ultra Classic. Somehow, someone has got the fuel tank hard plastic vent tub out of position. On mine, it was rubbing against the inside of the drive belt notches only when pushing the scooter in reverse. Yours could be doing the samething in either direction.

Remove the seat and find the fuel tank vent line that comes out below the left rear side of the fuel tank. Trace where it goes and pull up on it and see if that takes away the ckicking sound.
Along those same lines, my battery tender lead had been routed out the left side and was riding on the drive belt.

HogDoc, where you at? You need to chime in on this one.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:04 PM
TickTock
Club Member

Well the wheel has now been off three times. First time was the tire change and that was when the noise started. The second time the IDS bearing was replaced and the rubber isolators inspected. Today was the third time and both wheel bearings were replaced. I don't think it is a tube or wire rubbing because the sound appears to be coming from the IDS basket somewhere. Strange this is that the tech took it apart to replace the bearing a week ago. Could the rubber be expanding/contracting from the pressure when the wheel is turned? I guess I could explain the clicking sound now like when you turn a balloon in your hand with an echo (IDS basket???).

Old 04-26-2010, 01:19 PM
TickTock
Club Member

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
I have a piece of casting slag in my hub, and it's too big to fit through the small slots in the spokes. It doesn't make noise now, since I think centrifugal force has lodged it somewhere in the wheel. It's not causing any problems other then the noise every now and then.
Also I think I can remove it once I remove the wheel bearings and the long spacer beteen them.
I had to take the wheel off to see it floating around in there. I noticed it before I put on my IDS.
Might be something to look at?
Is there room in the hub once the spacer and wheel bearings are installed for small debris to be rolling around?

Old 04-26-2010, 04:43 PM
TickTock
Club Member

ok, I guess I am talking to myself at this point, but I want a resolution here in the event some other sap needs help.

I took it to the dealer and they readjusted the belt. Looks like it was too tight. My guess is that the creaking noise was the rubber isolators squeezing against the walls of the bowl this time around.

So bad isolator bearing then bad wheel bearing and then belt too tight. Ahhh, the joy of Harley ownership. It's always a 2-3 tripper...

Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

So, when you took the bike in, the dealership replaced the first thing they came to??? Instead of checking out the whole rear axle to see what else could be the problem, they jumped to conclusions.
Typical behavior for a young, inexperienced technician, mechanic or knuckle buster. The older, wiser mechanic would have pulled the whole thing apart and diagnosed the entire rear axle assembly before he started R&R parts. Inexperienced mechanics add a lot to the cost of maintenance.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 PM
trib
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gentlemen,
Just a thought. I had the (seemingly) exact same experiance. After replacing my wheels, (from mags to spokes) while backing my '98 RK out of my garage, I first heard the "clicking". Slowly, I took her out on the road, and the clicking could still be heard. I nursed her home then trailered her to my dealership where they (said) they checked the bearings, re-tourqed the axle bolt, checked the wheels, checked everything and found nothing. I paid the bill and off I went. I got about 20 miles and while negotiating a turn, the tranny went out to lunch and never came back. I'm not saying the clicking had anything to do with it, but......
I'm now on an '04 RK Classic.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TickTock
Is there room in the hub once the spacer and wheel bearings are installed for small debris to be rolling around?
Yes there is. Even with the reinforcement ribs inside the hub. In fact it was bouncing between inner spacer and the ribs untill it lodged somewhere.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:10 PM
christopher.roden
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was your problem resolved completely? I have the same problem that you described. I have an '07 Fatboy with only 3500 miles. I can't imagine it would be anything crazy. At least I hope it's not! It's at the dealer now and they will start work tomorrow. Other than testing driving before I bring it home, do you have any other suggestions?

Last edited by christopher.roden; 08-09-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Clicking / Tapping noise