Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading from 07 to 2010 or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:23 AM
ckmhawg
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading from 07 to 2010 or not?

Looking for input, I was contemplating upgrading from my 07 Ultra Classic to an 2010, the only downside I see is that the 2010 is heavier. Any input positives or negatives would be appreciated.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 AM
WI Bob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the frame upgrade and front motor mount on the 2009 and later touring bikes.

The 2010 will run hotter than your current bike, so you may want to address that cat converter in the exhaust head pipes and a tuner.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:32 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I went in and talked to the dealer about trading my 08. He found a bike like I wanted and put together a pretty good deal for me to consider. When he told me what the deal was he made the comment "Before you decide go home and think about it. The 08 is a great bike but if you want to trade call me in the morning." After sleeping on it, I decided that a new bike would be nice but there was nothing wrong with the one I had. I called the dealer back and his response was good choice. Now I don't mean to imply there is anything wrong with the new bikes but he helped me realize that there is nothing wrong with my bike either. That was a few months ago but now I know I made the right choice.

Just some thoughts.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 AM
rambler43
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ckmhawg
Looking for input, I was contemplating upgrading from my 07 Ultra Classic to an 2010, the only downside I see is that the 2010 is heavier. Any input positives or negatives would be appreciated.
I traded my 07 ultra fo a 2010 limited and i'm very happy i did, the ride is night and day different, i wouldnt go back for no money.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:40 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but, I'm keeping my '05 forever!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 AM
doggiedave
Road Master

I lost an 07' to hurricane Ike. went and looked at an 09'. went and sat on the bike and noticed that the seat height was higher than my 07' and left me somewhat on my toes. whereas with my07' I'm flatfooted with a slight bend in my knees. so I bought another 07' jmo

Old 04-19-2010, 11:00 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

The 2010 is wider, as well - if you have a short inseam, it can be a problem.

The '09+ touring models handle better than stock earlier models. Nearly all the handling difference goes away with a stabilizer. I put a Bagger Brace on my 2007 Road Glide - it really does make it ride like a new one. When the new frame came out in '09, the local dealer asked me to take a '09 Road Glide out and ride it the way I ride mine, then give him an evaluation. I did so, and rode it hard, just like I (sometimes) ride mine. The difference in handling was minimal.

That said, there are other reasons to change:
1) Brembo brakes - they are better. If I rode two-up much, it would be a factor.
2) ABS - maybe....
3) 6 gallon tank (a minor factor, unless you are in desolate areas)
4) The '09, being taller and wider, actually fit me a little better (I'm 6'4) - so the MOCO screwed up the Road Glide for 2010 AFAIC....

For ME, the advantages to buying a new model did not justify the cost. My '07 has a Corbin custom-fit seat (won't fit the new frame), Reinhart TDs (won't fit new), a king tourpack (in Deep Cobalt Blue, and the brackets won't fit), and a TTS Mastertune that's been dyno'd to perfection. That's about $4k in addition to the pile of money to get the new bike. The Bagger Brace was under $300, and the last tire change was to Elite 3's. The $10,000+ difference will pay for two long tours.....

Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by doggiedave
I lost an 07' to hurricane Ike. went and looked at an 09'. went and sat on the bike and noticed that the seat height was higher than my 07' and left me somewhat on my toes. whereas with my07' I'm flatfooted with a slight bend in my knees. so I bought another 07' jmo
I've never been able to flat foot a bike! Seems like a vanity of tall riders. The shorter ones amongst us just get on with it. Wouldn't make me change my mind, it would just be normal!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:53 PM
meepers
Tourer

I rather spend the money on my 97, and I have been, getting it just the way I like. The ONLY upside I can see for a new bike, is if you spend large amounts of time on the road away from home. If you break, you have a *better* chance of having parts in stock. That was part of my reasoning for upgrading some of my parts to 02+. Evo parts are hard to come by on the road, but hey.. its part of the adventure. I am pretty fortunate that most of the Twin Cam parts including startor, clutch, jackshaft are pretty universal. If the motor breaks, well thats a bridge I will cross when I get there.

Brembos you can do yourself for $200-$500 depending on how well you scan Ebay and the forums. Thats my next upgrade.

You have a little better tire selection on the new bikes, but I think more parts that can break/go bad. Fly by wire on a bike doesnt appeal to me, if my cable breaks, easy to change roadside or at the motel parking lot, carb problems, indy shops have all parts in stock, Fuel line? Autozone. There is not much short of major mechanical that can fail on my bike to leave me stranded.

The new bikes, with electrical systems and sensors, and cats, and EFI tuners... so much that you cant make *just work* to get you back to your house. I have looked at the '10 models, and I just dont see the justification over payoff to get a new bike and the payment that goes with it.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by JustDennis
I went in and talked to the dealer about trading my 08. He found a bike like I wanted and put together a pretty good deal for me to consider. When he told me what the deal was he made the comment "Before you decide go home and think about it. The 08 is a great bike but if you want to trade call me in the morning." After sleeping on it, I decided that a new bike would be nice but there was nothing wrong with the one I had. I called the dealer back and his response was good choice. Now I don't mean to imply there is anything wrong with the new bikes but he helped me realize that there is nothing wrong with my bike either. That was a few months ago but now I know I made the right choice.

Just some thoughts.
What dealer was that? Talk about wanting the customer to be happy. They essentially talked you out of buying a new bike from them.

I'm not being sarcastic, by the way.

Quick Reply: Upgrading from 07 to 2010 or not?