Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lawyer / insurance advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 11:18 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ssfirefighter
So the inevitable happened the other day. A damn cager hit me and caused me to hit another vehicle. So I call my insurance (Dairyland) and they tell me "good luck getting your bike repaired because you have no collision coverage".

According to them, I dropped my uninsured motorist, personal injury, bodily injury, and my collision coverage sometime between 2005 and 2008. They cannot tell me when I supposedly called, cannot provide any signature cards where I signed declining the coverage or any other proof that I cancelled any of these coverages. So they opened a "coverage investigation" and won't let me use the rental insurance, or let me have the bike inspected or repaired until they determine if they made any mistake or not. Now they are avoiding my emails and phone calls. They did tell me that it will probably take 3, 4, 5, or 6 more weeks maybe to resolve this, but "it looks to be you fault".

Has anyone else ever had this problem, heard of anything like this, or know of a good lawyer?
First, sorry about the mishap.
Second, don't you check the Declaration page(s) that your insurance sends you periodically, and typically when your insurance renews?
This Declaration lists your coverage with the premiums attached to each item.

Edit: You indicated that you never received a Declaration page since 2005. That's strange because all (I think) Ins. Co are required to send it to the customer at least once a year. Now assuming that they haven't sent one to you, which will be tough to prove, I guess your premium must have dropped dramatically if you didn't have collision, uninsured etc........ Hasn't this got your attention that maybe something was wrong?
Personally, I wouldn't send a payment without knowing what I'm paying for.
I'm just saying........

Good luck.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 04-26-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:38 PM
adlerx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your insurance co has to send you a new declarations page every year with your renewal bill. It shopws all your coverages. If you do not save those as proof in case you need it, you might be screwed.
Sounds like Dairyland sucks the big one!

Old 04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
ssfirefighter
Tourer

Originally Posted by rthomp159
First of all, if I understand your description of the accident, it sounds like you are completely at fault. If you had time to kick at a car, you had time to ride your bike and evade it. You then ran into another vehicle. Your insurance company will pay out to that driver.

Now, I have to ask....You're telling us that you've been sending money to an insurance company for 5 years and never got an actual policy listing your coverage?

There are several somethings not right with this story. If you have a policy showing full collision coverage, then you should be fine as far as getting your bike fixed. If you don't....Why on earth were you sending money to the company?

And as far as the accident....I'm more than happy to yield a lane even when the law says I have the right of way. Know why? In any confrontation with any other vehicle (including bicycles and scooters), I lose.

Well, you got it. There is something wrong with this story. I have my policy and my application showing that I have "Full" coverage and they are saying that they will not pay until they figure out if I am covered or not. They don't have any other declarations pages that what I have sent them. They can't even tell me when the coverages were dropped, only "sometime between 2005 and 2008". They also told me that "Full Coverage" to them is Liability and personal injury, and not what everyone else on the planet considers "full coverage". When I explained to them the agent on the phone told me I had full coverage she said "I don't know what they told you, but this is what they sold you". So they asked for ME to send them my declarations pages and I sent them everything they have ever sent me. As for them sending one out every year, they haven't. They have never even sent me ID cards until I requested them, then when you request new cards, that is what they send you ID cards. Nothing else.

As for who is at fault, you are right. It was probably me. A few of you on here keep focusing on the "kick". It was more or less a flailed leg at the car to alert her as I was hitting the horn. And there was no option to yeilding to this vehicle. I was on the inside lane, and she was merging into another lane, and decided to take two lanes instead of just the outside lane and my lane was a ZERO shoulder with concrete barriers on the yellow line. Traffic was bumper to bumper due to an accident ahead, so with one comming up my ***, and this chick comming from the right and a jersey bouncer on the left, I was a bit F'd. But does it all really matter as to who was at fault. **** happens, that is why I pay for insurance.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:35 PM
ssfirefighter
Tourer

As for the change in premiums. When I got the new bike, it went down about three dollars a month, according to them it was because of the new bikes having ABS.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:14 PM
ssfirefighter
Tourer

Well, I spoke with the adjuster again today. She tells me that they have ordered the wrong paperwork, and they had to order a different form and it'll take another two weeks for that to come in. Then when they get that, it'll be put in another form and sent to corporate for review. And she still cannot tell me when or who cancelled my coverage. Same story, "sometime between 2005 and 2008".

Old 04-26-2010, 07:16 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by ssfirefighter
Well, I spoke with the adjuster again today. She tells me that they have ordered the wrong paperwork, and they had to order a different form and it'll take another two weeks for that to come in. Then when they get that, it'll be put in another form and sent to corporate for review. And she still cannot tell me when or who cancelled my coverage. Same story, "sometime between 2005 and 2008".
Then your coverage wasn't cancelled and they're trying to weasel out of paying off. Get a lawyer.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:59 PM
sh57
Elite HDF Member

ssfirefighter, where I work it is not up to the adjuster to figure out what kind of cov you have. When I get a claim to work, it lets me know what a person has or does not have. This cov issue needs to be taken up with somebody up the line from the insurance side of the company, not the claims side. The adjuster can only work with what they are told you have. I would be at the place you bought your policy in the morning and getting some answers. I am glad you took my advice and filed a complaint with the dept of insurance, but like all gov agencies the wheels on that end move slow. again good luck

Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Quit talking to us about it, call a lawyer and have them call the company, or send a registered letter to them. I bet once they hear from a lawyer they will **** some paper work, or coverage real quick. Because if they all of a sudden decide, yes you have insurance, I would sue the crap out of them for the mental anguish you have endured worrying about this....

Old 04-26-2010, 10:04 PM
12mgs20
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Write to this company, request a copy of your cpmplete policy including declarations page, get in touch with your bank and request copies of all cancelled checks payable to this company evidencing you paid your premiums. Get as much paper work you can from your insurance agent and the insurance company, applications, dec. pages, policies, any forms evidencing a change of bikes. Then go to an attorney in your area with all your documentation. I have done defense civil litigation for quite awhile, as has been noted earlier , the insurance carriers are not afraid to go to court over a few thousand dollars . If you have documentation that shows you have every coverage you believe you had as well as other documentation showing you paid your premiums and the policy was current at the time of the accident then your lawyer maybe able to straighten this out thru a series of letters. Good luck, get an attorney.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:18 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

I am NOT employed by, or have any financial interest in, Dairyland. But I was insured by them, on several bikes, for decades. But I never had to use the coverage until 11/06 when I had an accident.

The scooter was taken to a junkyard and I went and viewed it a few days after the accident. It didn't look too bad, but it was 'totaled'. Dairyland sent me a check wthin a week for more then the book value. They had apparently included the 'bling', i.e. "live to ride" covers, chrome mods, etc., when they were deciding how much to send me.

I am with Geico now. Purely because it is cheaper then the quote from Dairyland. But if Geico wasn't cheaper I wouldn't hesitate going to Dairyland again. It may seem stange to not give more weight to the good sevice I experienced at Dairyland. But only two wrecks, in 42 years and hundreds of thousands of miles of near daily driving makes me willing to
risk another accident while saving some money every year.

Ron

Quick Reply: Lawyer / insurance advice