Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VOIDED WARRANTY

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 12:58 PM
stglideblk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VOIDED WARRANTY

MY DEALER SAYS THAT DEALERS OUT ON THE ROAD WILL NOT HONOR WARRANTY PROBLEMS IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED SLIP ONS ARE AN AIR KIT. ANYONE FACE THIS PROBLEM ON THE ROAD?

Old 08-09-2006, 01:08 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: VOIDED WARRANTY

I HAVE NOT HAD THAT PROBLEM. WE JUST GOT BACK FROM MONTANA TO FLORIDA A MONTH AGO. 20 BIKES ON THE TRIP AND WE HAD OUR PROBLEMS. NOT A STOCK BIKE AMONG US AND DEALERS HONORED WARRANTIES ALL OVER THE PLACE .TWO OF THE BIKES THAT HAD A LOT OF PROBLEMS WERE 06.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:08 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never heard or seen that.... Is this an 07 you are talking about?

Sounds like [sm=bs.gif] to me....

Old 08-09-2006, 01:53 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Its going to be very interesting this coming year - I have also heard the Dealers talking about the Warranty attitude changes connected to the 07's and aftermarket engine mods - time will tell...

Old 08-09-2006, 02:46 PM
bucs012
Road Master

Gee, I better not put too much chrome parts or covers on my 07 bike. It may cause them to not warranty .... Ha!

Old 08-09-2006, 02:55 PM
WhiteKnuckle
Cruiser

It seems very odd that a company that makes a huge amount of its profit on aftermarket parts sales and sales of extended warranties would take the attitude that installation of those parts will void that warranty. Not saying it's not true, but that would seem to be a very curious business attitude to take.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I bought my bike (in February), before it rolled out of the dealership I had them install some V&H pipes on it.

When it finally warmed up enough to go for a ride, the bike ran terrible and eventually it wouldn't run at all. After batteling with the dealership for about a month I finally wrote a letter to Mamma Harley and they told me the warranty was voided because aftermarket pipes were installed.

They said that the bike would have to be returned to stock conditions. Then, if the bike doesn't run, it'll be looked at and/or repaired under warranty. They did however press the dealership to "get it right" and I had the bike back within a day or two and I haven't had any problems since.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:07 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Same thing applied to my bud with his SE Fatboy with straight shots. He had to put factory pipes on it and then they would work on it. Finally came down to installing a PC III to get the bike to run right.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:10 PM
axe11
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: stglideblk

MY DEALER SAYS THAT DEALERS OUT ON THE ROAD WILL NOT HONOR WARRANTY PROBLEMS IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED SLIP ONS ARE AN AIR KIT. ANYONE FACE THIS PROBLEM ON THE ROAD?
This news is as old as the Harley Hills. While I think there's probably a majority of HD dealers that will honor many engine mods, exhaust changes, EFI changes, etc., any one particular dealer will usually tell you that only they can guarantee your warranty issues will be taken care of with them and that other dealers "may" not. They may not, not that they for sure won't. So you'll find many on the road that will honor mods done at other dealers or shops or even personal work. But, some time or another, you'll likely also find some hard *** dealers who won't honor your warranty for as much as the even the slip ons or air kit like you mentioned. You've got to take each dealer as a separate situation to deal with; some are outstanding, some are **** poor in attitude as well as work. So, if you're on the road and you come upon a lousy dealer, look up another one.

Ride safe,

axe11

Old 08-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think we need to look at this differently.
If you take your new bike 2003, 2004, 2005...2007 (it dosn't matter) and put on an aftermarket exhaust, then take it to the dealer because "it dosen't run right" that would not and should not be covered under warrenty. Its YOUR responsibility to get the bike properly tuned for the new exhaust.
HOWEVER, if you put a new aftermarket exhaust system on your new bike and the front wheel bearings go out, THAT is under warrenty. The exhaust system has nothing to do with the wheel bearings (I don't think so anyway).

Makes sense to me,
Doug

Quick Reply: VOIDED WARRANTY