Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VOIDED WARRANTY

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:45 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: VOIDED WARRANTY

Just got an 08. Was told by dealer if I included Stage I with puchase price, it would be fully warrented. I thought they would push Screeming Eagles but insted recommended Rush slip ons. Since the 08 SERT won't be out til Sept/Oct, I have to go with a download.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:58 PM
fxesuperglide77
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Withmy 07 purchase I had Screamin Eagle mufflers put on, Stage 1 Air Intake system put on, and it is fully under warranty. However, I asked him about add ons to the bike and he said that add ons are not covered under warranty beyond the point of purchase. BUT the engine, tranny, drive train is under warranty IF you use original Harley Davidson products! Ex: Harley Davidson Oil, Lube, ect.... Other Oils not under the HarleyDavidson name will VOID the warranty! So, IMO, you should stay with HD products until the warranty has expired.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a law that states that the manufacture must be able to PROVE that the aftermarket piece caused the problem!!!! They CAN NOT verbal void the warranty! Your bike is covered UNTIL MOCO can PROVE that your aftermarket part casued the probem... Here is the link. Next time your dealer tells you that is voided, inform him about the law passed in 1975 and if he still doesn't want to fix the bike under warranty, just tell him you'll see him in court... They have to prove the aftermarket part caused the problem.

Here is the link ---> http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/.../warranty.shtm

Hate to be a *****, but as the buyer WE HAVE RIGHTS TOO!!!!!

Old 07-27-2007, 07:51 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealer or Moco can NOT void the warranty if you use after market filters and lubes.
All you need is receipts for what you bought to prove they all meet or exceed factory specs.
Most every commercial grade lubes and oils do this and most all nationally sold filters do too.
Besides HD would have to put in writing to make it stick and then provide them for free under the moss magnuson act.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was toldabout therejected warranties thing tooif I put in other brand oils rather than HD.I hadSE air cleaner, SERT and SE touringslipons installedand the oil changed this week by the dealer. Only warranty questions that was adressed was regarding the oil. At no time did the dealer lead me to believe that future issues wouldn't be resolved with the Stage 1 install. I did see the warranty warningsticker on the SERT box, but then I'm not racing my bike either.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:07 PM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly Viejo, they would need to show that the aftermarket parts are related to the specific issue.

I keep a small copy of that law in my owner's manual.

Now, I have a Thundermax, so right off the bat I wouldn't expect them to cover warranty work on the ECM or 02 sensors...and if a FI problem developed that they claimed was related to the tuner, I do have temp and rpm logs available so we could resolve that I believe.

However, if my wheel bearings go bad..etc, it wouldn't be related to my upgrades and if they tried to deny warranty work on that I would be willing to press the issue legally if necessary.

ORIGINAL: Viejo

Magnusom-Moss Waranty Act.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:13 PM
JMAN
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealership is A. O. K. with me. C&S in Nashville. The owner told me Harleys were made to be modified, personalized......that's one of the things that make them great. I have PCIII, Rush S/O, and K&N High Flow A/F System (all self installed) and I don't catch any flack with my 07. I'm old school and have always worked on my own bikes....that's half of the fun or it is to me. They are all labors of love!

I agree with many above that if you find a bad dealer, move on down the road. You don't have to be abused and there are many more good ones than bad.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:26 PM
teach
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought an 07 RGlide to replace my 99 and here is what I know. HD sent me a notice that ANY parts installed by the dealer from which I purchased the bike (within 30 days of purchase) are covered under the factory 2 year warranty and/or any extended warranty you might purchase. That means HD is warrantying ANY additional HD parts/accessories/mods made and sold by the moco.
The only issue I have ever heard of voiding or refusal of warranty work was when the owner has installed aftermarket (non-HD) parts/accessories.