Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VOIDED WARRANTY

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 05:24 PM
stglideblk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VOIDED WARRANTY

MY CHROME HARLEY REGULATOR I FOUND OUT AFTER THE FACT ONLY HAS A 90 DAY WARRANTY INSTEAD OF THE FACTORY WARRANTY

Old 08-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

According to the warranty act of 1983, the dealer cannot void your warranty unless they can prove that the modification/s caused the problem or failure. On the exhaust issue and a run problem it is within there right to make you return the bike to stock before addressing the problem.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:17 AM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I specifically asked my dealer this when I bought my 07 SERK a couple weeks ago.

I asked them if THEY would void the warranty if aftermarket exhaust or intake/PC was changed and they told me NO.

I'll make sure to get it in writing when I do though.

I think it all depends on how much of a ***** the dealership wants to be.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:20 AM
BluRooster
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Alien Spyder

When I bought my bike (in February), before it rolled out of the dealership I had them install some V&H pipes on it.

When it finally warmed up enough to go for a ride, the bike ran terrible and eventually it wouldn't run at all. After batteling with the dealership for about a month I finally wrote a letter to Mamma Harley and they told me the warranty was voided because aftermarket pipes were installed.

They said that the bike would have to be returned to stock conditions. Then, if the bike doesn't run, it'll be looked at and/or repaired under warranty. They did however press the dealership to "get it right" and I had the bike back within a day or two and I haven't had any problems since.
Did you go back to stock exhaust or did the fix with V&H pipes?

Old 07-27-2007, 11:23 AM
JPstreetglide
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer advised that any parts installed by them at time of delivery are all covered under the 2 year warranty period. HD parts installed after delivery come with a 90 day warranty. I would suggest if you are going to do major upgrades and can afford it, do it at time of delivery.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 AM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Stg:

Please take the CAPS LOCK OFF.

Thank You

Ride Em Carry Em

Old 07-27-2007, 01:26 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The way I see it, it is left up to the dealer. If one dealership gives you some slack go to another one. When you find a dealership that will work with you within a reasonable distance from you then you know where to take your money from then on.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:34 PM
AlleyKatt
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: PhilM

Just visited North TX HD during lunch break....

They have about 10 2007 bikes on the showroom floor. Of those, probably 8 (new 2007's) have V&H exhausts (slip-on's on the touring bikes and long shots on the Softails) and high-flow breather setups. THe LongShot's had O2 sensors in both front & rear pipe and the touring bikes all come w/them in both head pipes (new for 2007).

I asked about warranty and they "assured" me there were no issues as long as the ehhaust system had the original O2 sensors in place, and all of these did. I do not know if they had flashed the ECM's or not. They also had a 2007 StreetGlide with a "Stage II" BigBore (103") and V&H exhaust already installed. "Stage II" implies cams too..... so... I dunno what's true & what's not. I also know that salesmen will tell ya what ya need to hear to make a sale. But, having said that... This dealership has a good reputation and stands behind their work better then many others.
Phil,

Chris at North Texas HD assurred me that the pipes and cleaner don't void warranty. I went and talked to the service dept about this and they said warranty, no problem. I have been very happy with their service. Only hiccup was when they tried to tell me I had to run Syn3 and then I told them to supply it. No problems after that. Chris has gone out of his way to always help us with whatever we need. My wife wants an Ultra and we will buy it from them next year.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Viejo
Cruiser

Magnusom-Moss Waranty Act.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:22 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of HD dealers are pushing the SERT, how many have been told up
front before purchase and installation it is not for street use.
but for off road and track only and it's use voids your warranty?
Saw article in mag written by dealer tech/ service mgr in Colorado, how
they are recommending the sert to almost all 07 riders to correct the heat and lean conditions etc.
Not once in the 2 part article did they mention the warranty voiding or off road.
Had two dealers claim my aftermarket pipes were the cause of my problem
never proved it and insisted I needed sert.
Bought it but no better. HD rebuilt motor still not better. Wrecked bike.
got back 100% stock. I have now put A/C back on, mufflers back on and
re -tuned with SERT (different dealer), my problem has not come back.
so guess it wasn't the mufflers. I think dealer secretly repaired after wreck what was actually causing problem CYA! little tech time and $30 materials
vs $10 or 20k in lawsuit.
So Yeah!, why does adding HD's aftermarket parts void your warranty?

Quick Reply: VOIDED WARRANTY