Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VOIDED WARRANTY

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 03:47 PM
wishbonecg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VOIDED WARRANTY

I'm new to the whole Harley experience (06 SG) and it sure looks to me like HD spends more time trying to wriggle out of warranties than honoring them. I'll bet the metric companies aren't pulling this attitude. Lets face it, we've all spent way more than these bikes are worth and it seems as though we are on our own once we leave the dealership. During 1k mile check I told them the turn signals hold water, dealer says that's normal and offers no fix for it. I then asked them if they could check my stereo to see if it had the upgrade and they had no idea what I was talking about! They said my front brake dragging and squeling is normal and when I did go pick the bike up after service they proudly told me they detailed it for me. If they did, they did it with a hershey bar. I doubt my bike will ever see the inside of a dealership again. Between all of you on this forum and my toolbox, I think I've got it covered from here. On a positive note, I've learned SO MUCH from you guys on this forum and continue to do so.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:48 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just visited North TX HD during lunch break....

They have about 10 2007 bikes on the showroom floor. Of those, probably 8 (new 2007's) have V&H exhausts (slip-on's on the touring bikes and long shots on the Softails) and high-flow breather setups. THe LongShot's had O2 sensors in both front & rear pipe and the touring bikes all come w/them in both head pipes (new for 2007).

I asked about warranty and they "assured" me there were no issues as long as the ehhaust system had the original O2 sensors in place, and all of these did. I do not know if they had flashed the ECM's or not. They also had a 2007 StreetGlide with a "Stage II" BigBore (103") and V&H exhaust already installed. "Stage II" implies cams too..... so... I dunno what's true & what's not. I also know that salesmen will tell ya what ya need to hear to make a sale. But, having said that... This dealership has a good reputation and stands behind their work better then many others.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think we need to look at this differently.
If you take your new bike 2003, 2004, 2005...2007 (it dosn't matter) and put on an aftermarket exhaust, then take it to the dealer because "it dosen't run right" that would not and should not be covered under warrenty. Its YOUR responsibility to get the bike properly tuned for the new exhaust.
HOWEVER, if you put a new aftermarket exhaust system on your new bike and the front wheel bearings go out, THAT is under warrenty. The exhaust system has nothing to do with the wheel bearings (I don't think so anyway) .

Makes sense to me,
Doug

When I bought my bike I had no idea about stock and aftermarket exhausts. The dealer suggested that I get a new exhaust before the bike leaves the floor. They told me it's by far the first mod a new owner makes to a bike. They wanted the sale, they pushed it and I bought it. What the Hell did I know? I was a newbie. All I knew was that I wanted a set of pipes that looked cool.

They eventually got it runnin right. Milwaukee told the dealership, "you installed the pipes, you get it runnin".

Old 08-09-2006, 03:57 PM
WhiteKnuckle
Cruiser

Bottom line - good dealers are going to find ways to warranty those things that are covered; bad dealerships will try not to. As far as Harley vs Metric dealers, I've been riding for over 35 years, and Harley dealers as a group are the best in the business. So if you run across a bad Harley dealer, go on to the next one - the odds are, he'll be a good one.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:32 PM
stglideblk
Cruiser

06 SG

Old 08-09-2006, 04:42 PM
rdpclassic
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a dealer in Bloomington, Indiana whose service dept says any bike with a trailer hitch has a totally voided warranty. Not the same news if you have them install a sidecar.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:42 PM
stglideblk
Cruiser

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT. I JUST WANTED TO DO AN AIR KIT AND SLIPONS.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wishbonecg

I'm new to the whole Harley experience (06 SG) and it sure looks to me like HD spends more time trying to wriggle out of warranties than honoring them. I'll bet the metric companies are pulling this attitude. Lets face it, we've all spent way more than these bikes are worth and it seems as though we are on our own once we leave the dealership. During 1k mile check I told them the turn signals hold water, dealer says that's normal and offers no fix for it. I then asked them if they could check my stereo to see if it had the upgrade. They had no idea what I was talking about!

Human nature is that people generally only get loud to complain, not to brag. While some may post a good dealing by a shop, most just enjoy the good service and dont say nothing about it.

I guess my point is that for every story you hear about a dealer avoiding a warranty fix, there probably is 10 where a dealer fixed the problem no questions asked. I am one of these. My dealer (Doc's H-D in St. Louis) gave me exactly ZERO run around on the injector fix. Marshall Tucker (yes, thats his real name) took one look at my old injectors and set up getting replacements. They even washed and detailed the bike for me when they were done.

Tim

Old 08-09-2006, 05:09 PM
stglideblk
Cruiser

GUESS I SHOULD GO TO ST LOUIS INSTEAD OF TULSA.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:16 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

ORIGINAL: bucs012

Gee, I better not put too much chrome parts or covers on my 07 bike. It may cause them to not warranty .... Ha!

In my statement I said after market (Engine Mods) so,chome up all you like - from what I have been told on the 07's is - do Mods to the engine that are not in the HD book (ie - aftermarket items = CC, drag and the such) this is where the problem starts - again, only time will tell if any of this actually happens... HD SE has pipes and 103/110 kits.... so go have fun... If you are real daring.... put Rineharts/Vance Hines and some Andrew Cams in your 07 and see what happens... I am sure a lot of folks here on the forum would love to watch...

Quick Reply: VOIDED WARRANTY