Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 or 2008?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:06 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Didn't the '07's have the problem with excessive transmission vibration, supposedly fixed by the addition of the cush drive rear pulley on the '08's? The '07 owners were charged for the fix if they wanted it.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:07 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
Is the 2007 5th gear "whine" anything real? So many hot-topics turn out to be new model panic that a few experience a problem but everyone jumps on.
The 2007 5th gear is the same gear as the '08 and '09 models. They changed to a helical cut gear in '10 to stop the customer whine more than the gear whine. So to answer your question, no it's not a (real) problem. Can you hear it? Some can. I could when mine was new, but 20k miles later I either am used to it and don't hear it, or it doesn't do it any more.

I like the wide whitewalls but bitch about them every time I'm sitting there on the driveway scrubbing them. I like the leather saddle bags too, but sometimes wish I could lock them. Sometimes my brain wishes I had that 6 gallon tank, but my *** disagrees and is glad I only have the 5 gal. Bottom line, go for the one you (she) likes better. Either bike would serve you well I'm sure.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:12 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This 07 RKC we are looking at has cruise which I assume is controlled at the ECM just like our 08's?
Yes and no. The cruise is activated and controlled through the ECM, but has a cable (like the cables from the handlebar) that runs from the control box (under the left side cover) to the throttle body and controls the throttle. The ECM controls the throttle electronically on the TWB bikes so, IIRC, no add on module other than the control switches and dealer activation.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:16 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
The 2007 5th gear is the same gear as the '08 and '09 models. They changed to a helical cut gear in '10 to stop the customer whine more than the gear whine. So to answer your question, no it's not a (real) problem. Can you hear it? Some can. I could when mine was new, but 20k miles later I either am used to it and don't hear it, or it doesn't do it any more.

I like the wide whitewalls but bitch about them every time I'm sitting there on the driveway scrubbing them. I like the leather saddle bags too, but sometimes wish I could lock them. Sometimes my brain wishes I had that 6 gallon tank, but my *** disagrees and is glad I only have the 5 gal. Bottom line, go for the one you (she) likes better. Either bike would serve you well I'm sure.
Kind of what figured.....Thanks!
Heck my 08 has a 1st gear whine it seems but I never said boo about it. The 5 gal would be an improvement over her current 4 gal so I think I will wait on their call today and see which one they want to move more then the other. Both are great looking, low mileage bikes so she will come out a winner either way.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:18 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh.......both our bikes have WWW tires now so the J&S are used to that pain already. But a couple of times a year they sure look good!

Old 04-18-2010, 02:35 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

If she likes the accessories on the '07 that's what I'd get her.
The '08 has 6 gallon tank, IDS (which may have been added to the '07) and better brakes.

I'd pay $500 more for those but giving up 10,000 miles and lots of bling as well?

Old 04-18-2010, 02:40 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts
Talking

You can't get an 08 , don't you know how dangerous the TBW is?

Oh by the way I have an 08, and love it!

Old 04-18-2010, 07:49 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by qtrracer
You can't get an 08 , don't you know how dangerous the TBW is?

Oh by the way I have an 08, and love it!
Where were you in 08 to warn me when I bought mine?? Damn it Jim...

Well looks like the low mileage and bling has carried the day.......will see for sure tomorrow once inked. Thanks all!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:38 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Appreciate the feedback....

mike5511: Bargain? Heck yes, aren't we all when shopping especially big ticket items? I am looking for mechanical or owner type feedback. Fortunately for me I am only mildly emotionally invested since it's the wifes scoot.

07FLHT: I just put 490 miles on my 08 RKC yesterday although in total I only have 9K of my own saddle time on it I love that bike like you do your 07. Do you recall why the well respected mech/member shyed away from the 08 year?

Thanks guys.....
Sorry this reply is so late...had'nt had time to find the post. Check out post #7 on this thread.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post6507945

Old 04-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

08: Plus.... Brembo brakes, 6 gallon tank
Minus: TBW (in my opinion, I know others feel differently)

If it were me, I'd look for the best deal I could get on either year. If I found two identical bikes, same condition, same price, I'd go with the 08 due to the brakes and bigger tank. However, they're really so close that there's no big advantage either way. Go with the best deal you can find.

Quick Reply: 2007 or 2008?