Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Speed Observations on my Limited

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:08 PM
scarygt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Speed Observations on my Limited

Just added Vance & Hines Dresser Duals, VH High Output Mufflers (slightly modded), SERT with Smart Tune, and VH Naked O2 AC. The bike runs super strong. Today I was ripping down the highway and a truck was getting too close to my rear end. I hit wide open throttle in 6th gear... i was already doing 80 mph when I started.. kept it held and the bike pulled smoothly and hard.. i look down at the speedo and I'm doing 108 mph and I still had a ton of rpm left on the tach. I decided to see what 5th would do... again from 80.. downshift to 5th.. it pulled hard but kind of shook the bike a bit... 112 at around 5600 rpm. I really enjoyed the 6th gear pull, but the 5th just seemed to have too much vibration for my liking.

One thing is for sure, this limited with the 103 and minor mods out pulls my 07 flhrc by a ton. That bike would barely go over 102 in 5th or 6th gear.

I love this bike... and now since I got that out of my system I probably won't get that fast again. But the bike is so easy to speed on the highway.. it just wants to go 85 with no effort. Now if I add cams this thing will be a monster.... hmmmmmmm must fight the temptation.... musttttt fightttttt itttttttt!

Disclaimer: these speeds were obtained on a closed track.. only bugs were killed in the making of this post!

Old 04-18-2010, 07:17 AM
IslandGlide
Cruiser

Nice bike, sounds like you have some well matched mods. I am sooo f&%)ing jealous of anyone riding at any speed at the moment. I'm confined to the couch or bed with my leg up, after breaking my heal on a Mexican vacation! Sounds like 10-12 more weeks with a "no weight bearing" cast. Hope to get out by some time in July!

Old 04-18-2010, 07:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scarygt
Disclaimer: these speeds were obtained on a closed track.. only bugs were killed in the making of this post!
That's great to know! Best of luck with your further experiments.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:58 AM
lowflyer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

I can`t have fun like that anymore. Have a CDL and got a warning doing 87 in a 65. Could have been jailed for it and lost my job. Feels like I`ve lost some of my freedom. You really have to be careful when just a few minutes of fun can ruin you.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:19 PM
llcustom
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lowflyer
I can`t have fun like that anymore. Have a CDL and got a warning doing 87 in a 65. Could have been jailed for it and lost my job. Feels like I`ve lost some of my freedom. You really have to be careful when just a few minutes of fun can ruin you.
I am in the same boat! Funny how your thoughts change about speeding. I used to have a rule that i had to hit 100mph at least once during a long ride, but not so much any more.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:02 PM
QQVEPY
Intermediate

I think the 103 is a great motor. I hit 101 by GPS before running out of road. That was with the bags full and a passenger and no engine mods. It was smooth and straight as an arrow with no buffet noted. Definitly a sweet ride worth every penny.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:30 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Does your speedometer agree with your gps?

Old 04-18-2010, 03:40 PM
QQVEPY
Intermediate

It is pretty close. There is a 1-2 mph difference at speeds from around 40 to 65. There was a 3 mph difference over 80-85. The speedometer was the higher of the two.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:27 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once did 112 on the RK one night I broke her down after I looked down and saw my exhaust collector pipe glowing red hott. I was also impressed by how she felt at this speed that new frame is super steady.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:50 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lowflyer
Yeah sometimes it sucks being a truck driver. Gotta keep that license in good order. I have been in that boat for over 30 years now. I do open it up a little when I get out in the desert once in a while.

Quick Reply: High Speed Observations on my Limited