Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When you fuel up, do you sit on the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 02:54 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default When you fuel up, do you sit on the bike?

Just wondering how the rest of you fuel up. I sit on the bike and keep it level. Once in a while I run across an attendant that won't let me stay on the bike while I fuel. I've always stayed on the bike when I fuel up (37yrs) The newer touring bikes only fill up from the right side cap so if the bike is on the side stand and you fill up to the filler tube, then upright the bike, then the fuel almost pours out of the filler tube. Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

Old 04-17-2010, 03:39 AM
coliseum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put it on the stand and I keep sitting on it... and I can never get the fuel gauge to show that the bike is completely full!!!

Old 04-17-2010, 03:48 AM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never had anyone say different to me, when we've been on a hard ride we will get off for some strech time but on a short run all my bro's sit on the bikes to refuel. Now there are some states that you can't even pump your own gas, they do it for you and tell ya to get back on the bike or in your car so that they can do their job. Might be something new or maybe someone had an accident and they are being cautious.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:55 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

........ i've never filled while sitting down.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:10 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never fueled any bike while sitting on it; seems that I get plenty of fuel in it, so I'm not too concerned about standing the bike up and getting another an extra cup or so of gas. I'd rather stand to the side and keep the nozzle and hose off the tank and hot exhaust.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:24 AM
Devo6684
Road Captain

Call me crazy, but I always drop the kickstand and sit on the bike while fueling. When riding 2 up, the wife jumps off and I fill up while sitting with the kick stand down.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:34 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

..ok..when I pull in for gas, I have to get off the bike to A. put the credit card into the pump slot, or B. go into the store to pre pay for the gas..so I'm off the bike at that point...might as well pump the gas THEN get back on and leave...seems logical

Old 04-17-2010, 06:04 AM
dparker747
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmacdonald5
..ok..when I pull in for gas, I have to get off the bike to A. put the credit card into the pump slot, or B. go into the store to pre pay for the gas..so I'm off the bike at that point...might as well pump the gas THEN get back on and leave...seems logical

Old 04-17-2010, 06:09 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
I've never fueled any bike while sitting on it; seems that I get plenty of fuel in it, so I'm not too concerned about standing the bike up and getting another an extra cup or so of gas. I'd rather stand to the side and keep the nozzle and hose off the tank and hot exhaust.
Yep...+1.. :-)

Old 04-17-2010, 06:36 AM
cdesero
Tourer

I put the bike up on the display stand get off and filler up. That way the bike is strait up and not leaning .

Quick Reply: When you fuel up, do you sit on the bike?