Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When you fuel up, do you sit on the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I'm weird but I always sit on my ride when fueling - scared of splashing fuel I guess - always mount/dismount from the left side and keep the fuel tanks to my left - what can I say, I'm left handed!

Old 04-17-2010, 07:59 AM
spence222
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't care too much for a crotch full of gas due to an over fill....bike on stand and fill while standing next to the bike.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:04 AM
FLS2FLH
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like I'm in the minority here. I always sit on my bike to fuel up - with the kickstand down - but the bike held straight. My old Heritage only had a 4.2 gallon tank, so needed to squeeze as much gas in there as possible. Fast forward to my new Ultra, I still do it that way. Geez - maybe I should try getting into the 21st century and change my fueling habits! From a gas on clothes perspective, certainly makes sense to fuel up off the bike.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:05 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I never sit on the bike to fill it. One, it's too awkward with the cover in the way and two, the few times that I have tried it (now we are talking about keeping the bike upright right?) and have gotten a complete fill up, my buds decide that now is a good time for a longer break so we park the bikes off to the side. As soon as I lean it over on the jiffy stand my gas starts to drain out of the overflow tube and my $$ is now pissing out onto the ground. BTW, I don't sit when I **** either.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I guess some people never have bad chit happen to them. Me, I seem to be the born loser. So I look for avoiding trouble. I would never sit on a bike level and refuel it.

I'm glad nothing has ever happened to you in 37 years. But a bad shut off valve, a foot slipping, or even some chick talking on her cell phone pulling in behind you and bumping you. I stand beside the bike with both hands od the nozzel/hose.

My grandad (before they invented plastic jugs) use to drive around with gas in the trunk of his car in glass gallon jugs. Nothing ever happened to him, but I wouldn't recomend it.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

I never have or would sit and fill. Fill till it clicks and forget it.

Last edited by Chuck1; 04-17-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Knight2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another minority here I guess..
Sit and fill 99.3% of the time! .3? hahhahaha

Pete

Old 04-17-2010, 08:42 AM
ScreamineagleSERG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK

This sounds like something you will be able to put in a movie some day... kind of like when the kid sticks his tongue on the post in "Cristmas story"! If you put your head on the pavement you can tell the distance of cars comming down the highway...Just a tip.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:02 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,586 Likes on 5,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
Just wondering how the rest of you fuel up. I sit on the bike and keep it level. Once in a while I run across an attendant that won't let me stay on the bike while I fuel. I've always stayed on the bike when I fuel up (37yrs) The newer touring bikes only fill up from the right side cap so if the bike is on the side stand and you fill up to the filler tube, then upright the bike, then the fuel almost pours out of the filler tube. Have I been doing it wrong all these years?
nowthat you have all these ways these guys fill up.maybe you can write a book, "Harleys for Dummies" On a side note,,,,,an attendant can make youget off your bike while fueling?? That sounds so wrong

Old 04-17-2010, 09:04 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

someplace someone told me years ago you NEVER sit on a bike while fueling just in case for some reason it catches on fire I do not want to be on the darn thing so my vote is the wife gets off [ if she is on mine ] and I stand beside it and filler up

Quick Reply: When you fuel up, do you sit on the bike?