Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When you fuel up, do you sit on the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:17 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, I fueled today for the first time since I saw this post. On my Street Glide I get off, slide card, grab the hose and push the premium button. Then I started to fuel from the right, but the bike is leaning away from me on the jiffy stand. (I have ALWAYS pulled up with the pump on my right side.)
So I walked around, and fueled from the left so I could see the filler hole better, it seemed better to hold the nozzle from that side too.
So, that is how I fuel my FLHX!

Old 04-20-2010, 10:04 PM
ultra big mac
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehans
I think only NJ and OR are like that. I lived in NJ for three years (until 9 months ago) and the law there is they cannot force you to pump your own gas, but you can tell them to get away. In 3 years, they NEVER pumped my gas and only one time was a guy so obstinate about it that I drove to the station across the street and pumped my own there.

I would never EVER consider letting someone pump gas into my bike. I'd be curious to know what OR law says on the matter. I suspect it is like NJ - they are required to have someone there to pump gas, but you can refuse them.

Oregon will let you pump your own bike gas, but not your car. I've never had anyone force me to let them (or at least try) and only once did an attendant ask if I wanted him to do it.
Oh, and I always sit on my bike and fuel. just always have, when I had my rice grinder, I had to keep it level to keep from it spilling down the side. so just habit with my Hog I guess.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:36 AM
TxEasyGlider
Cruiser
Thumbs up

I ride an '08 SG. I pull up with the pump on the left side and close enough to swipe my card and place the gas cap on top of the pump. Put the jiffy stand down and remain on the bike. I keep the bike level, the stand is down in case I need to get off of lean too far to the left. I get a full tank every time. I've never spilled or got a wet crotch. If the wife is with me she gets off the bike. On long rides, once I finish fueling, I will pull away and then get off of the bike.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride in Oregon alot and the attendant always swipes my card and hands me the pump, no problem. What hacks me off is a pump with one nozzle for all grades of fuel. If the last person pumped 87 octane and you select 91, you'll get 3 tenths of a gallon of 87 before the line is purged to 91. I drive tankers for chevron and asked a tech that had a pump torn apart while I was delivering. Should be a dedicated pump on the lot that despenses 91 octane only. Notice the diesel pumps are separate. Not an issue if you are nearly empty, however I ride off the beaten path and never know there the next fuel is so I tend to top off alot. Many rural areas only have diesel and 87 octane. But thats where some good desolete riding is.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:51 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I fill it up while off the bike. I figure that if i need that little bit of fuel I am in trouble

Old 04-21-2010, 10:29 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I generally try to pull up close enough to the pump so I don't have to get off the bike. I put the jiffy stand down, Just incase. Slide the card and pump with the bike sitting straight up.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 AM
MNAY0227
Advanced

Originally Posted by spence222
Don't care too much for a crotch full of gas due to an over fill....bike on stand and fill while standing next to the bike.

+1 on that

Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyboyddk
What hacks me off is a pump with one nozzle for all grades of fuel. If the last person pumped 87 octane and you select 91, you'll get 3 tenths of a gallon of 87 before the line is purged to 91. octane.
Doubtful if the .3 gallons of 87 octane mixed in with 5 or 6 gallons of 91 octane would affect the performance of a Harley. Worst case scenario (highest % of 87) is if you fill the tank, ride 10 miles then top it off with .3 gallons of what is essentially 87 octane. Still essentially only 12% 87 octane.

I am surprised that there is over a quart of the previous octane left in the system. Good info.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:10 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I put it on the stand, get off, insert debit card and fill it up Standing on the left side of the bike.It always is on full when I leave.