Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scheduled Maintanence opinion......

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 01:21 PM
mcfarland1286
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scheduled Maintanence opinion......

what is everyone's opinion on taking your bike in to the stealership for the scheduled maint?? I have just passed the 10,000 mile point on my 09 ultra and not sure if its really something needed or just a big waste of money.... I plan on changing all the fluids myself anyway.... and NO, not for the first time.....lol just curious as to what some others opinions might be on this subject.... its $340 at my dealer.... so not cheap

Thanks

Old 04-15-2010, 01:22 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a service manual, tools, and knowledge to do all the items on the checklist? Yes = do it yourself. No = take it to someone that does.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:25 PM
mcfarland1286
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
Do you have a service manual, tools, and knowledge to do all the items on the checklist? Yes = do it yourself. No = take it to someone that does.
I do have tools, but not all the special tools it shows in the service manual... and yes i do have a service manual..... and im not completely useless with a wrench in my hand....lol

Old 04-15-2010, 01:33 PM
WI Bob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tell people to spend the money on that first 1000 miles check on a new bike just to maybe catch something early.

After that, I agree with Roadhawg.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:39 PM
bullseye
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never taken my bike in for schduled maintanence and never will...just sayin.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:46 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Never let anyone touch your bike! If you can - do it all yourself. I learned the hard way not to even let the dealer do a detail job on my bike! After some shoulder surgery, I wanted the bike cleaned up so I could store it for the winter. When I got it back, they had buffed thru te paint in a couple places. If they can't even wash a bike properly, how can you trust them to do maintenance on it??? JMHO!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:51 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

if it ain't broke don't fix it. you don't need "special tools" if you don't take it apart. if things are working good leave it alone. things like adjusting the clutch are over played. if the clutch or anything else is working how you like it then leave it alone.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:53 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bullseye
I have never taken my bike in for schduled maintanence and never will...just sayin.
And I'll bet I could ride your bike 1 mile and tell you everything you skipped!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:55 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rh8234
Never let anyone touch your bike! If you can - do it all yourself. I learned the hard way not to even let the dealer do a detail job on my bike! After some shoulder surgery, I wanted the bike cleaned up so I could store it for the winter. When I got it back, they had buffed thru te paint in a couple places. If they can't even wash a bike properly, how can you trust them to do maintenance on it??? JMHO!
Thats your logic, the minimum wage wash kid that they hired last week messed up so the trained techs must be POS's too?

Old 04-15-2010, 04:05 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

My classic 10k story is, after paying a fortune for a 10k service I removed my air cleaner cover to clean behind it. The air filter was as black as the bike. That's the second item on the list to check. They greased the front wheel bearings, and had grease flung all over the rotor.And they over greased the zerk fitting for the shifter arm. When I got home my boot was covered with grease. The wash job looked like it was done by a 2 year old, they missed alot and didn't even rinse the soap off in spots. So needles to say after that satisfying experience, I do my own from that point on.,,

Quick Reply: Scheduled Maintanence opinion......