Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scheduled Maintanence opinion......

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:44 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
And I'll bet I could ride your bike 1 mile and tell you everything you skipped!
I'll take that challenge.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:54 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperAir
Hahahaha! Me too! Changing the fluids does NOT constitute a service. I know that there are certainly people qualified to do their own work, but the reality is that most are not qualified to do everything that should be done correctly. You may not notice at 5k, or 10k miles, but usually by the time those bikes get up around 20k miles it starts to show. When I work on high mileage bikes that the owner "serviced himself" it's usually a can of worms.
I could tell you some stories......

To the poster that said "no one will take care of your bike like you will", I gotta disagree. There are alot of guys out there who take alot of pride in what they do. Just sayin'.
That is absolutely correct, there are plenty of techs that WILL treat your bike BETTER than you do and take TONS of pride in their work, probably just as many as this place thinks sucks. But its like talking to a wall sometimes!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:55 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ashmarc
I'll take that challenge.
Bring it on up!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:02 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

We have a very good dealer with very competent techs. That said, I do my own fluid changes and fastener checks at 2500 mile intervals. The dealer does the 10K. Has been working great on my bike and my wife's. It's a financial thing.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 PM
happyhooligan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperAir
Changing the fluids does NOT constitute a service. You may not notice at 5k, or 10k miles, but usually by the time those bikes get up around 20k miles it starts to show.
Precisely and that's exactly why I got tired of paying the dealer a couple of hundred bucks every time they did that kind of "service" No disrespect intended, but I'm not the Doctor and I was able to tell every thing they missed when the jiffy stand went up after the 1000 mile $200+ service. It sqeaked just as bad as it did when it was dropped off.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:20 PM
brockstwrt
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I am lucky enough to have a great service dept at the local dealership, they have made mistakes but they have always made it right. I try to bring my bike into the dealership every 10k. I have plenty of tools and a service manual but all of my mechanic skills were learned because I had more time than money, there's not much joy in it for me. I will change my fluids and put on accs because i'm not rich but I get some peace of mind after the dealer does a once over. My .02 if you're confident in your abilities and enjoy it or can't afford to pay the dealer do it yourself. If your dealer has a good service dept. have them look it over every 10k. If money isn't an object and time is tight have the dealer do everything. I know that if Fargo HD made a mistake on my bike and it left me on the side of the road they would make it right. I'm pretty grateful when I see some of the horror stories on here.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Palau
Advanced

Originally Posted by mcfarland1286
(snip) its $340 at my dealer(snip)
Good grief ... $340 for 10k service is cheap when you compare it to SF Bay-area prices. Dealers are quoting me $540

Old 04-16-2010, 09:16 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Bring it on up!

Up? Where the F is Up? Never been there.

BTW, you too cool to answer PM's?

Old 04-16-2010, 10:01 PM
16over
Road Master

90% of the time I take mine into the dealer. I work a lot of hours and do maintenance for a living. Most of the time I really don't feel like it nor have the time to do my own. I always used to ask for the same tech to have it done, don't have to ask for him anymore, they just know. He takes a lot of pride in his work and takes very good care of my bike.

Any issues that have come up, they have been up front about it and always made it right. It just shows me that if a trained tech can make a mistake then I KNOW that I can only difference is if they mess it up it comes outta their pocket and I do it's just more to come outta mine.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Never had any service done by dealer unless it's under warranty.

Quick Reply: Scheduled Maintanence opinion......