Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel dragging

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:06 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
It must be something in the air! I recently had my Billet-6 front calipers serviced and fitted new pads (six each rotor!). Went out for a test ride today and the front brake locked on after a few miles. Got trailered home and went over what might have caused it. I had replaced the hand lever, which was fouling on the master cylinder piston rod, so it couldn't move freely. At least I hope that is what caused the problem! Will try riding again tomorrow. We're heading from the UK to Poland in a few weeks and things are getting a bit tight, to ensure this thing is fit!
I read in a bike magazine about just such an occurrence,

It seems the master cylinder has a bleed valve that allows caliper fluid to flow back into the master as the caliper heats up from use,

If this bleed valve is blocked, the caliper will expand and lock the wheel,

That is all I remember from the article,

Old 04-17-2010, 08:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ButtMan1000
I read in a bike magazine about just such an occurrence,

It seems the master cylinder has a bleed valve that allows caliper fluid to flow back into the master as the caliper heats up from use,

If this bleed valve is blocked, the caliper will expand and lock the wheel,

That is all I remember from the article,
You're quite right. I had replaced an old genuine lever (no longer made) with a pattern Custom Chrome one. Looks the same, but fouled the piston, so it was not returning fully. I still had the old (broken) lever and could see where they were very slightly different, so filed away the new one until it let the piston come out fully.

I should have realised that the brake light was not going out every time I squeezed the lever (in the UK we have an annual vehicle inspection that checks that sort of thing), which was the clue I missed. All appears OK now, although I haven't plucked up courage to take it out for a long trip yet!

Old 04-17-2010, 02:29 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I checked another '07 at the HD shop today and that rear-brake configuration looked exactly like mine, so I've decided I no longer have a problem. I think the inner pad was marginally too large and was dragging slightly, and minimal use loosened it up.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:31 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Whenever I take a wheel off I almost always push the brake pistons back.
Helps get everything aligned where it should be after reinstall.
Couple of squeezes on the brakes after and everythings set the way it should be....ride on.

lp

Old 05-17-2012, 12:31 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
.............I'm accustomed to watching for the rubber bumper than can easily get out of position, but that wasn't it.
What is this rubber bumper you describe?
(BTW, my cams are great, thanks)
Thanks

Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 AM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There is an opposing V notch in the caliper where it lands on the swingarm support bracket. The notch is to allow the caliper to pivot as the swing arm goes up and down. At the intersection of the v points on the bottom side there is a rubber bumper that probably was added to reduce rattle. It pulls through a hole drilled in the caliper and when the caliper is installed on the swing arm bracket it pushes on the bottom of the bracket. You cannot see it without removing the caliper when the axle is out. If you are changing/removing rear wheel you should have a new one on hand from the last time you were at the dealer. It may be one of those times you get out of the dealership for less than $3.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:58 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
What is this rubber bumper you describe?
To add to X Iron Butt's reply, it's part #44351-00 in my '07 parts manual, but there may not be one or it may be different on newer bikes with Brembo brakes. It's very easy to position improperly or lose if you don't align it as you install the wheel and position the caliper, and the service manual doesn't even mention it as something to check.

I might give an update here while I'm on this thread. The last time I changed pads in Nov. '11 I had the same trouble and discovered that the caliper and rotor aren't aligned properly, closer on the inside pad than the outside. It's not an axial misalignment but lateral (left and right). I ground the inside pad down like I did the last time and will try to get a grip on this problem the next time I change my rear tire, which will be in the next six months. I posted a message at that time and you can read it here and more feedback on HTT.

I'm planning on installing the new tire on my spare wheel and will see if the gap difference is the same. If not I may need to shim and grind the axle spacers for that wheel only, or do it for both wheels if necessary. I can't imagine what is causing this.

Last edited by iclick; 05-17-2012 at 12:16 PM.