Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide or Ultra Classic???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Street Glide or Ultra Classic???

Greetings,

I'm the proud owner and operator of an '09 Street Glide and I ride it nearly everyday. I can't help but notice that a lot of Street Glide owners have the detachable tourpak and some even have lowers. Seems a lot of them slowly morph their scoots into quasi Ultras. I've also notice the opposite with the Ultra owners who seem to always be seeking opinions on removing the tourpak and QDs for removing the lowers to make their bikes more Street Glide-esque. Funny how the grass is always greener on the other side. However, a friend of mine recently purchased a new Ultra and now I'm really thinking to myself "why fight it, just get the damm Ultra and be done with it." How many Street Glide owners have "upgraded" to the Ultra? I'm mulling it over myself but curious as to what others have done.

Brad

Old 04-15-2010, 10:32 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm on that transition road as we speak. Changing from a Road King, putting on a fairing, loading up the tour pak, and now shopping for lowers. Probably would have been cheaper just to buy the Ultra in the first place. But we all change, as do our wants and needs. All I can really tell you is that my next bike WILL be an Ultra.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:36 AM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my SG because I didn't want the Geezer Glide and now I really want the Ultra. I'll probably pull the trigger on one within the the next year.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts
Default You will discover ...............

Tis always easier to remove .................... than add ! And I should mention, a lot less expensive in the long run. If you add up the cost of up grading a SG to the level of a UC, the cost will eat you alive. Plus, your resale/trade value will be greater with the UC. Just my .02

Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdowell25
I bought my SG because I didn't want the Geezer Glide and now I really want the Ultra. I'll probably pull the trigger on one within the the next year.
Geezer Glide ? Love it ................. Funny thing though. As of late, I seem to see more young to middle age on the UC while the boomers as I am are slowly migrating to trikes due to health issues.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:57 AM
The Guardian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've rode both. I think the Ultra classic is probably better if you're going to be 2up or doing some cross country traveling.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:58 AM
GAZippoman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's a look versus comfort thing. While I REALLY like the looks of a Road King, I put at least 1000 miles a week on my Limited. I guarantee I wouldn't be as comfortable on a RK as I am now.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did exactly what you're describing. I had an '07 SG and over two years I added cruise control, lowers, the driving lamps, and went to a taller windshield. I was all set to add a tour pack and I realized that I had almost converted by bike into an Ultra. Right about then the '09's came out with the vastly improved handling, new frame, bigger tire, etc.

So I traded in my SG on an Ultra, and I haven't looked back. While there are times I'd like the tour pack to be removable, I use it every time I ride to work for my lunch, laptop, cover, etc., and I find it too damn convenient to ride without it.

While I wasn't quite ready for the "old man's bike", I'm loving this bike!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:59 AM
slime_dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was smitten by the SG when I first noticed one in 06. When I got to really deciding, the UC made much more sense for me. I was going to be 2-up for most of my riding and would be traveling for extended periods on it. The comfort factor ranked high.

Since my purchase, I have quick released the trunk, lowered the windshield, but I cannot even consider removing the lowers. ;-) I run it stripped when bar hopping or commuting but can "geezer" it up to take long weekend trips with the sweetie.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Big L
Road Warrior

Received 161 Likes on 128 Posts

I went from a Dyna to a so called Geezer Glide, knowing that my sweetie was just getting into the sport with me and that she wanted to be comfortable. Never looked back except when she packs to much chit and takes up the tour pak for make-up and her chit. But it's okay at least she's with me.
Roy

Quick Reply: Street Glide or Ultra Classic???