Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another lowering question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:08 PM
brahmabull1126
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another lowering question

ok guys, im a bit torn on this..my next mod is to lower the bike front and rear with the progressive kit..a friend of mine tells me that i should not do it because if i do some spirited riding in the canyons, i will be scraping all over the place..i pretty much just want a 1" lower front and back..will i scrape that much if i do lower it that low??

also, for those with a SG lowered knowledge, how much of a lean angle do i have until "**** hits the fan" type of lean??..lol..also, does the progressive suspension have a lot of play to take the lumps of the road for comfort? or is it one of those things im gonna have to sacrifice givin up??

..I already have a badlander seat which helped me out, later on i might do the bars with a closer pullback....when i am stopped on the bike, im sitting with my full toes on the ground, not tippy toeing it, but almost half my foot touching the ground..should i jus bite the bullet and lower it for that added convenience and confidence when backin and parking the bike..mind you i use the bike as my daily so i spend a lot of time with her..whats your take on this..

Last edited by brahmabull1126; 04-14-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:08 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Shoot , I raised my FLHX using 13 1/4" Ohlins rear shocks and she still scrapes all the time, I can't even imagine riding one lower than stock in the canyons. My guess your friend is right.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:52 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

I lowered my RK one inch front and back and it didn't take much to scrape the floorboards, didn't even have to ride aggressive, just turn a little sharp and scrape city. Hopping curbs too fast would scrape the bottom including my turn down exhaust.

With that said I'm still glad I lowered the bike, it looked better and handled great.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:58 PM
rixida
Advanced

I had a height problem with my bike also. I couldnt afford a new seat(because I"m paying for the bike) so I pulled the seat apart myself, took off all the foam, took a torch, heated up the plastic seat pan on the edges and rounded them off so it was narrower wich put more of my feet on the ground,took out some of the foam,cut a square out of it the size of a gelpad (I already had)and put it in there then covered it back up with the naugahyde. I could just use a staple gun to attach the cover back on because the pan is plastic. That lowered it 1 1/2 and then I had 1" soles put on my boots to get the rest. If all you need is 1" , think about thicker soles on your shoes. That way you dont need to ruin the clearence and handling on your bike.