Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FBI seat drop install and review

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:57 PM
fairplay
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FBI seat drop install and review

This winters project may have broke the bank but it was well worth it. I installed topshop 3" streatched saddle bags, painted inner fairing, FBI 21" front fender, FBI 3" seat drop kit and had them all painted by CVP cpvehicles.com in franksville, WI. All of the people I dealt with were fantastic. For once in my life, I did a job and everything went as planned and everything was done when it was said it would be.

The part everyone wants to know about is the seat drop so here goes:
below is the best articke I was able to find. Or just google hotbike fbi seat drop. It is a step by step with a ton of pictures (which I have stole some of).

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0910_...kit/index.html

INSTALL:
The install went very well. within an hour I had the old parts off and the new frame section in. My buddy stopped by to help at this point so everything went slower (you know the type of buddy I am talking about!). Over all it took about 5 hours and that includes bleeding the brakes. I have ABS so a seperate part was needed from FBI. If you have aftermarket brake lines you will need an angled banjo fitting to connect back into the abs manifold. The instructions provided by FBI were amazing! They were step by step with full color pics for every step. They were just about idiot proof.

fit and comfort:
At first when I sat down I was a little worried. The seat was hard as a rock and felt like it was pinching my butt kinda funny with the angle. The reach was kinda far too as the kit sets the rider back about 2-3 inches (this kit is not for short riders). I also have yaffe bars so my 13" monkey bars are now 16".
FBI offers a variety of seats with the kit. There is the standard, the sport and the touring. I got the touring. They all have the option to fit a back rest too. The deeper seat is so nice that I dont think I will get the back rest now. I have heard from outside sources that they offer another seat that moves the rider a little more foreword but have not seen it.
As far as the hard seat, I went for a long ride today and it held up great. Much more comfortable than stock (but what isnt). My buddy took it out as well and likes it better than the sundowner. Now for the butt pinching discomfort. Once I put my feet up on the floor boards and grabbed ahold of the bars, all discomfort goes away. This seat kis is amazingly comfortable.

performance & control:
Many people think that this would affect performance and control but they are wrong! no geometry has been shanged other than setting the rider down. The wind does not hit as hard, your lower back is better supported and the passenger can see more. The new seat holds you in so tight you won't be able to resist cracking the throttle a little harder. That is the best part.

now for the cons.....
the only one I have found so far is tha TSM (turn signal module as fbi calls it) has been relocated and turned 90 degrees. This tsm is inertia based and is what turns off the blinkers and kills the bike in event of a tip-over. By turning this 90 degrees, the turn signals no longer self cancel. The biggest problem I have had was a "***** out" hole shot. The tsm thought the bike tipped over. The engine died and the screen read tip. I had to turn off the ignition wait a sec and fire it back up.
***I have not contacted FBI yet as they are closed right now but I plan to call them in the morning. If they don't have any suggestions then I will have to fab up some sort of fix by turning the tsm to its's origional position.***

Attached Thumbnails FBI seat drop install and review-seat-drop-1.jpg   FBI seat drop install and review-seat-drop-2.jpg   FBI seat drop install and review-seat-drop-3.jpg   FBI seat drop install and review-seat-drop-4.jpg  
Old 04-14-2010, 05:05 PM
fairplay
Road Master

here are some shots of my bike:

Attached Thumbnails FBI seat drop install and review-0408001900.jpg   FBI seat drop install and review-0408002134.jpg   FBI seat drop install and review-0408002045.jpg   FBI seat drop install and review-0404001125b.jpg   FBI seat drop install and review-0408002133a.jpg  

Old 04-14-2010, 05:18 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet looking bike you've got there! I'm curious to hear your opinion on the seat after a l-o-n-g ride. I've got the SG Sundowner seat and am not overly impressed. I live in Round Lake, we'll have to meet up at the McDonalds on 31 and ride Bull Valley Rd to Woodstock Harley one of these days!

Old 04-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

That looks great, if the seat doesn't work out you can also have have Mean City Cycles redo the seat.

I will be interested after you have had it a month and do some real riding.

One question though:
It looks like my *** would be sitting on the saddlebags lids, any problems?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:10 PM
fairplay
Road Master

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
That looks great, if the seat doesn't work out you can also have have Mean City Cycles redo the seat.

I will be interested after you have had it a month and do some real riding.

One question though:
It looks like my *** would be sitting on the saddlebags lids, any problems?
I was afraid of that too. I cut it close at 280lb. 44waist. There is about 3/4" to spare on each side.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Seener84
Tourer

Looks good man...

Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Very, very, very NICE!!! Dam! Love that color too. Painter really did a nice job. and the seat kit looks awesome! Did you have to angle the bars back toward you, or leave as they were? Glad you mentioned about the "wedge" seat getting better. Would like a follow up after you've had it a bit. Great looking bike!
Jerry

Old 04-15-2010, 06:17 AM
ncbeast
Road Master

Wow, that looks great and love the new seat!!!!

Old 04-15-2010, 06:51 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fairplay
I was afraid of that too. I cut it close at 280lb. 44waist. There is about 3/4" to spare on each side.
Hell man I'm good to go then, at 225 and a 40" waist. lol

Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Hey Fairplay, how about some full shot pics of the bike? That thing looks GREAT!!
Jerry

Quick Reply: FBI seat drop install and review