Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S.e. 120

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010 | 07:27 PM
Dick1964
Cruiser

Dalton,

Where do I find one of these mechanics? I live in St. Charles, Mo. I'm willing to travel and stay a few days while someone trusted builds my engine. He'd have to know the things you are talking about. I want a motor like you are talking about.

Where do I find prices for something like that?

Old 05-14-2010 | 07:44 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dick1964
Dalton,

Where do I find one of these mechanics? I live in St. Charles, Mo. I'm willing to travel and stay a few days while someone trusted builds my engine. He'd have to know the things you are talking about. I want a motor like you are talking about.

I am not sure that you will find someone to do this in a couple of days. There are a lot of things that will need to be done, it can be built with stokc cases but the crank does need to be addressed, either your stock or an SE crank that is sent to someone such as Darkhorse to be trued, balanced pinned and welded. When I do a big bore such as this the cases also go to darkhorse for the case boring and fitting of the crank, cases and crank come back as a unit. That alone can take weeks by the time it is shipped, and then returned. What I am saying is that if you are serious about doing this, plan on the bike being down for a while.

Looking for someone to do the work - check around, there are those on this site that can do this and specialize in it, such as Hillside, Tman, GMR or some "independents" on this forum that do the occasional build but dont make a living at it, and there are others. Word of mouth is absolutely the best way to get an idea of who to trust.

Old 05-14-2010 | 08:06 PM
firefighter156
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dalton
Disclaimer: I have no experience with the HD 120"

That being said, I do have a lot of experience with the Headquarters/Darkhorse 120", having built one of the very first and doing some of the R&D for HQ. The 120 can be a very reliable and fun engine, but you need to have someone build it - not just assemble it. There are way too many things to check during the build that a shop mechanic on flat rate may not. I am not painting all HD tech with the same brush, there are some that are very good, but it is tough to know who they are.

I do not know if the HD 120 is a knock off of the Jim's 120, but can tell you that the Jim's stock out of the box are 120hp/120tq. The HQ 120 that I built was 125/145 and mild mannered for around town riding until you twisted the wick, then whoa nelly. The 266 cams that come with
the HD kit are way too overcammed for a bagger and the engine will be very peaky.

I have to agree with Phil, go to a performance shop or manufacturer if you want true performace without guesswork. Again, there are a few HD dealers that fit this description, but not many.
Could not have said it better

Old 05-14-2010 | 08:24 PM
firefighter156
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dick1964
Dalton,

Sent you a PM.

Old 05-14-2010 | 11:05 PM
boomer
|
Cruiser

nice to see this has finely got some response. as I said earlier I have ordered the kit.
As for the crank I will definitely have it welded and trued! Will be calling Tman for that.
I would like to send the cases to have the clearances checked also.
As I said earlier Tmans 590g cam will be my choice there.
With that said are the heads a waste of time?

Old 05-14-2010 | 11:34 PM
Dick1964
Cruiser

Originally Posted by boomer
nice to see this has finely got some response. as I said earlier I have ordered the kit.
As for the crank I will definitely have it welded and trued! Will be calling Tman for that.
What gives? You ordered a month ago. I was wanting results. Are building this yourself?

Old 05-15-2010 | 06:53 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Currently there are only 3 air cleaners that will fit the 58mm TB , The Se Heavy Breather(fits the 50 and the 58) , The Se Stage 1 style(it only fits the 58) and one made by Bob Wood. The 58 sticks out farther than the 50 and I had the Stage 1 style and got sick and tired of riding my bike bowlegged so I went with the HB to gain much needed room. Also the Stage 1 style can only be fitted with the HD filter element, no K&N avaiable. Any good 2-1 will be a great choice and there are many good units out there.
The HD Ventilator also fits on on the FBW 58 mm Throttlebody. I have both on my 2010 SE Ultra and no modifications were needed.

Last edited by Heatwave; 05-15-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-15-2010 | 07:25 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by boomer

The 590s are a good choice. Headwork is alway in order, but now you are spending extra bucks to "redo" and re-engineer the kit, between the cams and if you do headwork, you can ad at least another grand or so to the total cost and now you are in the ballpark of a HQ120 with someone else doing the work. I really dont want to rain on your parade but even sending cases to be checked now becomes extra dollars, but is a wise move.

Old 05-15-2010 | 07:48 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

Hey Dick you may want to check with these harley performance companies. They have the kits your looking for already pieced together with what works. Here's a protwin link associated with HQ http://protwin.com/completeperformancepackages.aspx
Give some of these shops a call and talk to them about what you want.
Go check out some of your local indy shops and see how they talk and what they do if or when they build an engine. Get comfortable, before you let them on your bike. You may as well ride the summer and plan this for the winter because of the downtime. Do some more research and investigation.

Old 05-15-2010 | 12:16 PM
Dick1964
Cruiser

Veteran
Thanks for the link. I'm willing to pay to play. I just want it to be right.

You are dead on about waiting for the winter. I just got my bike and I can't have it sit for any length of time. I have places to go.

After just a couple PM's with Dalton, I have learned a ton. I hope there is some way I can make arrangements with him to build my engine this winter. No guess work there. There just isn't much of a choice of indy shops around here. I'd rather putt now and fly right later with peace of mind.

Quick Reply: S.e. 120