Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S.e. 120

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010 | 08:18 PM
boomer
|
Cruiser

kind of like the look of the ultra as it is. really like my lowers it can be pretty wet up hear
and the lowers sure help out with the road spray.

Old 04-14-2010 | 10:52 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

if you get the chance to ride a built 103" motor you might realize that you've got a very practical motor that way with no reliability issues. and it'd cost a lot less too. i'd be leery of the pressed crankshaft with much more than a good running 103-106-107 etc inch motor. i'm very pleased with the new kit harley has, part # 27544-10 a very impressive, not tempermental motor which runs great. i just really appreciate the reliability of a harley engine which isn't overbuilt, but fun too.

Old 04-17-2010 | 09:52 PM
boomer
|
Cruiser

well I did it placed my order today. I'm thinking I have buyer's remorse at what I'm about
to do.
ya ya I know a 2 into 1 will give better #'s just wondering what people think about
using my MO's with a head pipe like fuel moto's.
the cam pick is a tough one also. the kit comes with se266e cams, t man has a 590g
that looks like a stump puller, se254e looks real close as far a numbers go.
my mech. thinks he can get the se stuff dialed in with the sest.
just looking for comments so blast away.

Old 05-14-2010 | 03:29 PM
Dick1964
Cruiser

Originally Posted by boomer
well I did it placed my order today. I'm thinking I have buyer's remorse at what I'm about
to do.
ya ya I know a 2 into 1 will give better #'s just wondering what people think about
using my MO's with a head pipe like fuel moto's.
the cam pick is a tough one also. the kit comes with se266e cams, t man has a 590g
that looks like a stump puller, se254e looks real close as far a numbers go.
my mech. thinks he can get the se stuff dialed in with the sest.
just looking for comments so blast away.
How did this turn out for you?

I'm looking at this kit, but am afraid I'll ruin my bike's practicality.

A couple have said it's expensive. What do you guys think they mean by that? Expensive as in a Malibu Mansion is expensive, but that's what they cost or expensive as in they are charging mansion prices for ghetto flats?

Are there equally as good kits for significally lower prices? If so, which, where and how much?

I thought about buying a complete motor and making a swap. My thought with this kit is if I buy the case also, I will know the person putting the engine together instead of someone in an assembly line. My guy will be held more accountable within our group. At least I'm hoping. He also gets the parts for 20% off which will be a huge savings.

I wonder how it will ride in the neighborhood. I wonder if it will blow up. I have so many concerns. Cost is not the major one, but I don't want hate it after I do it.

Sorry for babbling, but cost aside, would you do it?

Old 05-14-2010 | 04:18 PM
WI Bob
Road Master

We would like to hear how it is going with the build.

Wish someone with facts would chime in on how close this is to a Jim's motor.

Old 05-14-2010 | 05:10 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Riders Club Member

The only thing I've ever heard about the 120 kit is them blowing up.

Old 05-14-2010 | 05:14 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by boomer
My thought is this 120 was R&D byJims and the MOCO got hold of it I could be wrong.
As a kit the components should be matched and work together don't you think?
One might "think"....

The only one of these HD120's I've seen was somewhat short of "right".

The owner bought the crank, pistons, jugs, & (new) cases from the local Harley shop ~ all the S/E components listed in the new 120 kit.

He opted for TMan heads & cams rather than S/E.

Should be good.... right?

Well.... they meticulously assembled everything. When they started it, it had a knock & it did not stop.

THe bike was delivered to the dyno shop for tuning. When Jud started & heard the bike, he told them "no way" ~ that motor's not "right". He ended up opening it up to investigate. He discovered that the NEW "HARLEY" cases for the 120 were not properly machined at the base of the spigot and the piston skirts were HITTING THE CASE!

In the end, Harley warrantied all of it, Jud put it all back together properly and then tuned it. Last I heard, the bike was running great and a total blast to ride.

Moral to the story.... things are not always what they seem to be. ALWAYS check everything. ... and the MoCo is not always right.

Lesson to the story.... If ya want PERFORMANCE, get it from a business that SPECIALIZES in performance. There are plenty out there, but HD is not one of them.

Old 05-14-2010 | 06:38 PM
Dick1964
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
The only thing I've ever heard about the 120 kit is them blowing up.
Mike,
Are you talking about the SE kit or 120's in general? If the SE kit, where have you heard this? I can hardly find any info and I am very interested.

Old 05-14-2010 | 06:52 PM
Dick1964
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PhilM
Lesson to the story.... If ya want PERFORMANCE, get it from a business that SPECIALIZES in performance. There are plenty out there, but HD is not one of them.
I thought Jim's specialized in performance, but I really don't know much about Jim's. Didn't they develop this for HD?

Phil I've seen your name on here and I know you know what your talking about. Where I live I am somewhat limited with my options of who can build what. We don't have many Indys here. As little as I know about what's out there (mostly from here) I end up explaining things to the service managers here. We have people that bolt things together. I was told at one of my area HD dealers not to even let them touch my engine. I just was put in touch with a certified HD mechanic (don't laugh) that works from home, that has been working on a lot of peoples bikes. I'm going to have to put my faith in him on my build. That he can build and not bolt. That he can actually check tolerances like some dude named Mud that I saw build an engine. Or I'm screwed.

Old 05-14-2010 | 07:15 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

Disclaimer: I have no experience with the HD 120"

That being said, I do have a lot of experience with the Headquarters/Darkhorse 120", having built one of the very first and doing some of the R&D for HQ. The 120 can be a very reliable and fun engine, but you need to have someone build it - not just assemble it. There are way too many things to check during the build that a shop mechanic on flat rate may not. I am not painting all HD tech with the same brush, there are some that are very good, but it is tough to know who they are.

I do not know if the HD 120 is a knock off of the Jim's 120, but can tell you that the Jim's stock out of the box are 120hp/120tq. The HQ 120 that I built was 125/145 and mild mannered for around town riding until you twisted the wick, then whoa nelly. The 266 cams that come with
the HD kit are way too overcammed for a bagger and the engine will be very peaky.

I have to agree with Phil, go to a performance shop or manufacturer if you want true performace without guesswork. Again, there are a few HD dealers that fit this description, but not many.

Quick Reply: S.e. 120