Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Victory Vision Test Ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:58 PM
usmcshepherd1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Victory Vision Test Ride

I sold my '08 Street Glide last year prior to deploying to Afghanistan in hopes of getting a new one when I returned to the states. Well I am back and prior to pulling the trigger on a new Harley I was encouraged to try out the Victory line of motorcycles. Well since the closest dealership is over 130 miles away across 2 states I decided to rent a new '10 Street Glide and ride over and take one of these Victory's for a test ride (I am looking for a touring type bike and something that will fit me as well as I am over 6'4").

Well the ride over was beautiful and the new Street Glide was 100% improvement over my previous SG especially when it came to stableness on the highway running highway speeds.

We arrived at Victory and the salesmen was very helpful and took me on a nice long ride through some twisties as well as a good stretch of highway. Well I can honestly say comparing the two bikes and figuring on where I was going to be spending my money on a new bike was not difficult...the Street Glide won out easy!!!

Why you ask?
1. The fit and finish on of the Victory is very lacking...it felt incredibly cheap to be honest! While HD's have plastic its a heavy duty plastic with a lot of metal mixed in. The hand controls were incredibly cheap feeling and I didn't like the setup of the information center/hand controls at all. Cheap...cheap...cheap.

2. The ride was ok. I know there are a lot of folks even on here that speak highly of the ride and I wasn't impressed. While on interstate the front end felt disconnected with the road, didn't track well and just felt very unstable. In the twisty's it was ok, but the hum of the metric sounding engine was boaring to listen. Wind was certainly still felt and while my SG had a larger then normal windshield, the Vision despite its plastic front end still allowed the wind in. Sure it wasn't as much as the SG, as I could raise the window while moving (which was cool) but still the SG was not outdone in this area either...even when tipping the 90+ range a couple of times.

3. The available parts for the Victory's just can't compare with HD, and while they are certainly less expensive then HD it shows (see point #1).

Well that's all I can think of for the moment. While I've only been riding a couple years now and have only owned 1 HD, I can honestly say that while I've ridden BMW, Honda and now Victory the ride, comfort, history and quality of the HD's just can't be beat IMHO!!! Despite the let down at the Victory dealer, lady luck struck and I found a gorgeous '09 SG with numerous custom features from its first owner that was on the showroom floor for sale and WOW....all I can say was it was the first motorcycle I've ever sat on the fit me perfect!!! It was made for me!!! It had one of Corbin's touring seats on it and a custom set of black powder coated ape hanger handlebars which transformed the SG into a bike I really fit on well. So....I have found my bike and one I complete accessorizing it I'll hopefully be bringing it home soon.

Semper Fi
USMCShepherd

Old 04-14-2010, 12:07 AM
clutchglass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear it bro. I have ridden victory as well & feel there is no comparison. I'm a recently (2005) soldier myself & will spending the rest of my days on my HD in the good old USofA!!!
-clutch-
P.S. Congrats on the find and thanks for your service too.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:04 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I know what you're talking about. I was really interested in the Cross Country prior to buying my FLHT. Although I couldn't ride the CC then, I had rode many Visions/Hammers/Vegas's in various tunes and looked at the CC.
Plusses for Victory were: power (stage 1 install rocked), luggage capacity (comparing my FLHT to the CC). The CC bags are more spacious and convenient. I gotta believe being 6'4" that you could really stretch out more on the Vic's. Loooong floor boards and much better legroom. I'm 6'2.5" with 35" inseam and the Victory offered better layout. Also, the seats on the CC were more inline with todays "average" size bodies
Negatives: The motor sounded more "industrial", I noticed much more driveline grabbiness, the hand controls/castings/cable routing/etc look unfinished. Like you, dealer support. I live just out of Madison, WI (230,000) and the nearest V dealer is 65 miles away. I have 4 H-D dealers w/in 50 miles.
Appearance is personal but I find the H-D to be classic and the V's to be too pointed and futuristic. My thoughts

Old 04-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice right up and great find on your new SG. I know you will love the new frame and all of the '09. I myself traded an '08 SG for an '09 SG and am still happy (poorer yes).

The one thing they changed that is worse on the 09 is the rear shocks. They are harsh no matter what air pressure you run. I put on a set of "take off Ultra shocks" and it rides very nice now.

Thanks for you service to our country too. I can't imagine how bad it is over there.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:26 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome back. I picked up my 09 SG when I got back last April. Haven't stopped smiling yet. Good write up. There is a Victory dealer in town where I am, and I go in there from time to time cause they have a leather and acc. store connected. I know what your talking about with the seeming lack of quality of parts.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't buy a Vision if it was at 50% off. Really ugly bike!

Old 04-14-2010, 11:36 AM
bigredwing
Advanced

Good seat-of-the-pants comparison and Welcome Home!

Old 04-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome home and thank you for serving. Congrat's on your new SG. Go out and enjoy yourself, you've earned it!!!

Old 04-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome home. Thanks for serving and keeping us safe. Enjoy your new bike

Bub

Old 04-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Garinsr
Cruiser

My Son, a former Marine, has a vision. While I was working out of state he came by and rode my 09 SG. The DW told me he said he was going to have to "trade up",,damn right.
Thanks for your service to the country and enjoy the ride.

Quick Reply: Another Victory Vision Test Ride