Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CRAPPY SEARS JACK! (the red one)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:37 PM
tarheelrdr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 of them , 1 at home and the other at my body shop. The one at home has never given a moments problem, but the one at the shop started leaking shortly after I bought it. I kept filling it with fluid and it would still leak out. Then, all of the sudden it quit leaking and is working just fine. Go figure. I was about ready to send it to the scrap heap. Probably start leaking again & will trash it then.
Tim

Old 04-14-2010, 08:44 PM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I took the cylinder off the jack today and messed around with it some and found the piston that the foot lever pushes in to release pressure was broken inside the jack. It just pulled out once I removed the foot lever. Its about 3/8 inch diameter steel round bar with an o ring seal . It goes in the jack then it is only about 1/8 inch diameter! It was broken in that area. So does anybody know if it can be fixed?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:51 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shagnasty
Well I took the cylinder off the jack today and messed around with it some and found the piston that the foot lever pushes in to release pressure was broken inside the jack. It just pulled out once I removed the foot lever. Its about 3/8 inch diameter steel round bar with an o ring seal . It goes in the jack then it is only about 1/8 inch diameter! It was broken in that area. So does anybody know if it can be fixed?
Not sure, but if you have it off just go to local auto store and buy a new bottle jack?

Sorry to hear it failed on you, my 8 yr old red Sears is with my son-in-law still going strong. Just a bad one off the line I guess.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:55 PM
shagnasty
Road Master

Don't know if its as easy as just buying a bottle jack. The base has holes for screws and the ram has a hole through it for a pin. I'm gonna check with harbor freight when I get a chance.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:02 PM
flhtupser
Tourer

Get a J&S. You'll never look back.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:17 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Mine is still working good after 7 yrs.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:26 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

It like so many things mechanical can and will break down.My Red jack has had Three Road Kings built on it's back since 02,and still looking like new.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shagnasty
Don't know if its as easy as just buying a bottle jack. The base has holes for screws and the ram has a hole through it for a pin. I'm gonna check with harbor freight when I get a chance.
Understood.....since my old red is 1800 miles away in Indiana can't look it over to offer any possible tips. I remember other threads where guys stated they did this, but no first hand experience. Good Luck!

Old 04-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Badfinger
Road Master

My "junk Sears jack" is still working fine after 3 years. Don't leave the load resting on the bottle use the steel stops to hold the load up and the seals will last longer. I can buy 6 of these jacks for the price of one of the others so maybe they are throw aways.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Badfinger
My "junk Sears jack" is still working fine after 3 years. Don't leave the load resting on the bottle use the steel stops to hold the load up and the seals will last longer. I can buy 6 of these jacks for the price of one of the others so maybe they are throw aways.
I always let it down on the stops. Everything is a lot more stable that way. I like the lift, it saves my back from bending all the time or working half hunched over. The point that pisses me off is that I can't get "parts" to fix it. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't consider having to buy the entire bottle jack assembly a "part". Reminds me of a time when I went into Sears to buy a motor for my shop vac. The damn motor was gonna be $118. I could buy a whole new vac for $104! Canister, hoses, attachments, and all! And the government wonders why our landfills are full!

Quick Reply: CRAPPY SEARS JACK! (the red one)