Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Signal Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:36 AM
rebbe18
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default LED Signal Light Question

I am considering purchasing the Radiantz 1156 LED Turn Signal Clusters and using them to replace the rear turn signal light bulbs.
I am currently using the Harley Run/Brake/Signal module.
My first question is, since I will leave the stock incandescent bulbs on the front signal lights, can I get away without using a load equalizer if I install the LED's on the rear?
My second question is, if I must use a load equalizer, would it go rearward or frontward, of the Run/Brake/Signal module?

Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Homebrew101
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I did what you are considering doing a few years ago and did not need a load equalizer with just LEDs in the rear. My signals would occasionally flash quickly as if one was burned out but I got a tip here from some one to fix that but for the life of me I forgot exactly what it entailed

If I recall it was to disconnect the battery leads while the ignition switch was on (bike not running)

not 100% sure about that but its worked fine since

Old 04-13-2010, 08:56 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldn't need one with only having led's in the rear. I'm going to guess that you will like the Radiantz so much that you will wantthem in the front too. Assuming that, you will need a load equalizer and the best one on the market will be the Badlands Illuminator Run/Turn/Brake controller with l/e built in. Dump the HD one, it's garbage. I'm running Radiantz Retroz, 2 pair in back and 1 pair in front with the Badlands.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:05 AM
rerb95
Road Warrior

and when you eventually change out that HD run-turn-brake controller you will see that wow these LEDS make a huge difference, I changed mine and was blown away. Change them all!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the run/brake light module on my Wide Glide with the Kury LED turn signal mirrors up front. Didn't need an equalizer and the flash cadence change was barely noticeable. I want the LEDs in back on Hester, but haven't decided which ones yet.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:58 AM
meepers
Tourer

Wont need them when changing only 2. You MAY loose your self cancel function though. I have ALL led lights in mine with the Kury Run/turn/brake unit, and My self cancel is inop. it takes a bit to get used to it. I am also running the Kury windshield trim mirrors, and custom did my bags with some Radiantz 6" led strips (50 leds each) and used a street glide rear fender w/the tri light for added brake light function.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:24 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior

The Kuryakyn controller is junk too, you can't run flashers because it will overheat. The Badlands will not overheat no matter how many L.E.D.'s you add and I have plenty running through mine. The Badlands is also alarm compatible. Everything you see here is L.E.D and is running through my Badlands Illuminator and I have since added the saddlebag spoiler L.E.D.'s which aren't pictured.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Do yourself a favor and avoid dealing with Radiantz and their products. Long story that I can link you to if you need specifics. Go with the Custom Dynamics clusters.

As far as a load equalizer I ran one with just rears to prevent hyperflash before I added fronts. I use a Biketronics Smart Equalizer. One unit is all you will ever need no matter how many LEDs you may eventually run.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:43 PM
meepers
Tourer

Originally Posted by Garemlin
Do yourself a favor and avoid dealing with Radiantz and their products. Long story that I can link you to if you need specifics. Go with the Custom Dynamics clusters.

As far as a load equalizer I ran one with just rears to prevent hyperflash before I added fronts. I use a Biketronics Smart Equalizer. One unit is all you will ever need no matter how many LEDs you may eventually run.
Huh, thats interesting, I have been using Radiantz for YEARS for custom lighting on everything from my harley to my xB. I must have purchased over 1k in lighting from them and only had one defective product which they replaced and shipped overnight no questions asked. I would be very interested in the link.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:44 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior

I've personally never had ANY trouble with Radiantz or their customer support. I have plenty of their l.e.d.'s on my bike and wouldn't hesitate to buy more. I understand that every company will have complaints, you can't please everybody, but for me - very happy customer.

Quick Reply: LED Signal Light Question