Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tour pak is gone

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhfguy
WHen the tour pak is converted to removable status, can the docking mechanism be locked when on the bike so no one can steal it?
Harley sells a locking pin option for tour packs but it can easily be knocked off and it's a PITA to lock and unlock. I use a less cool cable to secure the base of the tour pack to the rear crash bar. That too can be foiled but at least is gives me more piece of mind in that it will be more of a struggle for someone to just walk off with my $700 tour pack.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:53 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a detachable tour pak and a detachable backrest/luggage. That way I can have a tour pak, back rest for the wife or nothing. Works great. I had my 96 RK setup the same way

Old 04-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith4001r
I have an '09 Classic and I'm thinking of just removing my Tour Pak. Anybody done this? My wife is waaaay too scared to ride, my son just got his own bike (YAY!), so it's time for me to go solo. Anybody pulled one off?
Harley sells a Kit to make your Tour Pak detachable. Here is the listing on the Harley Web Site.

Detachable Tour-Pak® Rack Kit for Electra Glide® - '09-Later Models

Transform your Electra Glide® Classic or Ultra Classic® model for around town cruising. This kit includes everything needed to convert the rigid-mount Tour-Pak® to an easy on-and-off detachable version. In just seconds (and without tools), you can install the Tour-Pak® for that long run across the country, and remove it for a stripped-down look when you get there. It also makes it possible to install a detachable Sissy Bar Upright and passenger backrest pad for around-town passenger comfort. Complete kit includes two-up docking hardware kit, detachable Two-Up Tour-Pak® Rack chrome strut covers, chrome license plate holder, reflector, and AM/FM antenna relocation hardware.

53246-09A

Fits '09-later FLHTC, FLHTCU and FLHTK models. FLHTCU and FLHTK models require separate purchase of Tour-Pak® Quick Disconnect Harness for Ultra Models P/N 70032-09

MSRP $549.95

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 04-12-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you use the detachable Tour Pak, make your life easier and move the antennas inside the Fairing. I did and it makes putting the Tour Pak on and off so much easier. I used a Hidden antenna off eBay for $21. I don't use Terrestrial radio much because I have Satellite Radio. I am going to add a CB so I still haven't decided if I will mount it outside, but am leaning toward a hidden CB antenna from J&M.
It make it look so much better when the Tour Pak is removed not having the antenna sticking out back.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 04-12-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Raptor1956
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just buy a street glide?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Keith4001r
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Holy Snappin' Arsles, Margaret! Look at the price tag on that thing! I'd rather spend a little time with the tool box. I can't justify that price tag, no way no how. It's a matter pf principle and tight waddedness. Besides, if I wrench it off, I can put it back on when I need it.

I have no issues with folks who have the detachable hardware, but too pricy for me.

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
Harley sells a Kit to make your Tour Pak detachable. Here is the listing on the Harley Web Site.

Detachable Tour-Pak® Rack Kit for Electra Glide® - '09-Later Models

Transform your Electra Glide® Classic or Ultra Classic® model for around town cruising. This kit includes everything needed to convert the rigid-mount Tour-Pak® to an easy on-and-off detachable version. In just seconds (and without tools), you can install the Tour-Pak® for that long run across the country, and remove it for a stripped-down look when you get there. It also makes it possible to install a detachable Sissy Bar Upright and passenger backrest pad for around-town passenger comfort. Complete kit includes two-up docking hardware kit, detachable Two-Up Tour-Pak® Rack chrome strut covers, chrome license plate holder, reflector, and AM/FM antenna relocation hardware.

53246-09A

Fits '09-later FLHTC, FLHTCU and FLHTK models. FLHTCU and FLHTK models require separate purchase of Tour-Pak® Quick Disconnect Harness for Ultra Models P/N 70032-09

MSRP $549.95

Old 04-12-2010, 07:44 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just put my tourpack on and I like it. I like the fact I can take it off in five minutes if I want to change the look. The TP will make a huge difference on my next trip.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

That's what I use the most without I wouldn't know what to do with all the crap I carry with me . I don't see it as uncool item on my Ultra .

Old 04-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Gofer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when riding solo, I go without the TourPack. I like the look. Why not a StreetGlide someone asks? Because my father gave me a great deal on an EG CLASSIC, not a street glide. That being said, I like the tour pack for long trips. 3600 miles around Lake Superior and I was happy to have the space.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the detachable King & Chopped tour paks & passenger back rest & rack. Used to NEVER run the King except for vacations of over a week long for me & the OL. But, lately I've had it on all the time! I now know I'm getting old cause I'm kinda' diggin' the King & the lower fairings! Dont let the OL know about this post, she'll make a resevation for me at the "old folks home" or have me committed!! LOL!

Quick Reply: tour pak is gone