Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside fairing antenna for $8.99, And it works well.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:25 PM
WI Bob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inside fairing antenna for $8.99, And it works well.

I had the outer fairing off the batwing today while installing some new mirrors and thought I would take a crack at an inside the fairing antenna.

The antenna I used is a universal fit single mast part number AW-UT30 from AutoZone for $8.99. I am usually a gadget dude the doesn't cheap out on things. But just for fun, I give this a go.

My first shot had it laying horizontal (settle down you ham radio operators) just below the windshield and that did not work so well.

Then I attached it like in the pictures and it worked very well. Then I bent it over to fit inside the fairing and it still worked well. Took it for a ride and all the fringe stations were the same and the good stations were the same. The AM and weather bands still work also.

A 50 mile test ride and I am very pleased. No doubt my SG is more aerodymamic without that antenna sticking up on the back of the bike. ;-) JK

The bracket was made from .030 galv steel I had laying around. I did not want to add a screw anywhere that could wear through a wire harness someday. The hex bolt I used was part of the bike.

Attached Thumbnails Inside fairing antenna for .99, And it works well.-img_3951.jpg   Inside fairing antenna for .99, And it works well.-img_3952.jpg  
Old 04-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Antnee 2004 FLHT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a nice idea at a good price. Been thinking of doing something like this myself. I have ideas for it but how did yo keep it from rattling around while on a ride?

Old 04-11-2010, 10:47 PM
WI Bob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The antenna mast is spring steel and I bent it to keep pressure at about five points. The little round tip was actually pushed under the windshild strip area before the fairing front went back on. It is sitting tight under there.

I played with the idea to use little circle clamps, but liked this better. We'll see.

You surely could tie it down, just make sure the live part of the antenna is not grounded to metal. Or even "Goop" a couple spots if you fear vibration wear.

BTW, the base bracket is grounded to metal with that exsisting hex bolt.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:05 PM
SixSixRider
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife's '09 FLHX lost FM reception over the weekend - turned-out to be a bad antenna cable right where it connects to the plug at the back of the radio. Rather than pay the dealer for a new cable and have to fish dig-out the old one and fish-thru the new one, I thought I'd try this idea. Just finished the installation - FM comes in loud and clear in the garage....we live in the sticks, so sometimes stations come in poorly. I'll test it out over the next week or so and report back.....but so far so good.