Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake bleeding tip

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010 | 02:42 PM
Ace07FXDL
|
Road Captain
Default Brake bleeding tip

I know this has been posted before but boy am I glad I did it this way when I flushed my brake fluid this year.

Used a cooking syringe or animal medicine syringe. The big plastic ones with a tip on the end. Put a hose on the tip of the syringe and what I did was put the other end of the hose on the bleeder, loosen the master cylinder cover, crack the bleeder and draw it down from the master cylinder thru the bleeders until I saw new fluid in the syringe. Had to refill the master 3 times or so but I was done in 10 minutes. The syringe I used came in a set it and forget it cooker......my wife wont be happy but my brake bleeding or fluid flushing will never be hard again!

Old 04-11-2010 | 02:58 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member

I like this. I want to flush my brake lines with my 10K service, but don't want to fork over $50 for speed bleeders. This sounds like a plan.

Old 04-11-2010 | 03:04 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Good idea.

Old 04-11-2010 | 04:14 PM
grbrown
Club Member

If your system is full of fluid, then bleeding the old fashioned way, with a length of hose and a bottle, will be enough. All that is needed is to pump the old fluid through, refilling with fresh. Takes no time at all, in my modest experience!

Where problems start is when the system has no fluid in it, such as after rebuilding the calipers, or replacing the hoses. I have done both in the last few days. I tried the syringe trick, but it didn't work for me. I bought a Mityvac, which let me fill the system from the caliper end.

It is nicely made, although I was not blown away by how it worked, but it got me out of a problem. This is the third time I have rebuilt my front brake system, but this time was the most difficult I have experienced. I wish I knew why!

Old 04-11-2010 | 04:23 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_hvpk.asp

I have the 8000 model Mityvac, super easy to use and no issues.

Old 04-11-2010 | 05:03 PM
jahays32
Tourer

ok so got the mityvac hooked it up and starting bleeding the brakes and could not keep the damn thing to hold the vacuum. My brother got a work out pumping it while I open the bleeder.

I am not impressed so far with all the little splices of hose and adapters you have to use just to connect it.

I did not have much time to troubleshoot it but the gun was not losing the vacuum because I held my finger over it and pumped it up. So it has to be in the canister that catches the brake fluid or one of the many splices you have to use.

Hopefully somebody makes something better than this setup for under a hundred dollars.

I will try on the next brake job to see if I can get it to quit leaking if I can't I am throwing it in the trash. the whole idea is to be able to do it by yourself. On the bright side I did get the bleeding done.

Old 04-11-2010 | 05:15 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ace07FXDL
I know this has been posted before but boy am I glad I did it this way when I flushed my brake fluid this year.

Used a cooking syringe or animal medicine syringe. The big plastic ones with a tip on the end. Put a hose on the tip of the syringe and what I did was put the other end of the hose on the bleeder, loosen the master cylinder cover, crack the bleeder and draw it down from the master cylinder thru the bleeders until I saw new fluid in the syringe. Had to refill the master 3 times or so but I was done in 10 minutes. The syringe I used came in a set it and forget it cooker......my wife wont be happy but my brake bleeding or fluid flushing will never be hard again!
Great Tip! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try Your technique soon.

Old 04-11-2010 | 06:25 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

I have that task coming up on both bikes, may need to try it. Thanks!

Old 04-11-2010 | 07:22 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain

not sure why you have splices from the Mityvac, with my setup just one hose from bleeder to container, and one hose from container to pump

works fine with my setup, all the extra hoses are not needed

Old 04-11-2010 | 07:35 PM
NE2I
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
I like this. I want to flush my brake lines with my 10K service, but don't want to fork over $50 for speed bleeders. This sounds like a plan.

I bought the speed bleeders for my triumph and the give the best bleeding results of all the methods Ive used. If you get the steel ones they are 5$ a piece.... SS are 15$ each.

I think they are worth the money and its so easy you'll change your fluid more often.

Quick Reply: Brake bleeding tip