Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with oil pressure !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Baggrmark
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with oil pressure !!

OK a couple of days ago I went to the dealer to get a new rear tire and to pick up oil to change when I got back home.I saw the price of the HD SYN
$14.00 a quart (ouch)and thought maybe it's time for a different oil.After much reading here I decided to switch to MOBIL 1-V-Twin 20/50 fully synthetic,which I got from advanced auto for $7.99 qt.Now comes the issue,
I have been using HD Syn since 1000 mile service,now have 38,000 miles.I changed the oil and filter and noticed that the oil pressure did not come up too good when I first started up.(18-20)psi.Normally when I change it it comes right up to 32psi.Today I took a pretty good ride and at cruising speeds it still only reads about 18psi,the bike has always read around 30-33 psi when riding.
Occasionally today, I would see the gauge fluctuating up and down (12-18 psi) and this when I had the cruise on at a steady speed.At idle it's reading about 6 psi at idle and when I hold the throttle at 22-2400 rpm it still only reads about 16-18 psi.At one point today it did go up to 33 psi but didn't stay there more than a minute or two...
Is there a difference in these 2 oils,as far as pressure goes, or do I possibly have something wrong.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED ,
Mark

Old 04-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Baggrmark
Cruiser

I don't know if it makes a difference but the bike is a '06 Ultra 88tc no engine mods to speak of SE A/C,tru duals & slip-ons,stage 1 download.Could I have bumped something electrical changing the oil or filter possibly ?Thanks for any help,
Mark

Old 04-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Mobil 1 15w-50 and the gauge holds right around 30 at highway speed. 37k on my stock '06 TC88. The Mobil V-twin oil shouldn't be much different. No idea why you're showing 10lbs. less with this oil.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:41 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

when cruising mine holds steady around 30-32 psi with mobil1 also, so I doubt its the oil.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:03 PM
dbr1990
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Its probably not the oil. Have your guage checked

Old 04-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Have you checked the cam tensioners? I had oil pressure reading like yours and discovered the tensioners were shot. I am still chasing pressure issues and I have replaced the tensioners, oil pump, cam plate etc... The tensioners may have lodged a peice of material in the oil pressure relief valve. I plan on flushing some of the oil passages in the next day or so when I change the oil. BTW, I also run Mobil 1 V-twin.

P.S. I just took advantage of the sale Advanced Auto Parts is having on Mobil 1. $7.99 a quart. If you buy more than $100 online you get an additional 15% off. I ordered and payed online and picked it up at the store. Approximately $6.80 a quart.

Neil
RDMC

Old 04-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I have used all 3 Syn3 Mobil 1 15/50W and Mobil 1 V Twin in last 90k miles or so on my bikes never notice any big difference in oil pressure except slight difference in the temperature . My bike varies 88 ,96 and 103 .

Old 04-12-2010, 05:36 AM
Baggrmark
Cruiser

As far as checking the gauge,can I check it with a mechanical gauge?
Do they make a mechanical gauge for the touring bikes,I've never really liked the electrical ones?
Cam tensioners ???Not sure what to do there?I've read many many posts mentioning Cam tensioners and even asked once if this was a problem with the 88tc but never got an answer to that.
The way the gauge was acting erratically up and down I thought maybe an electrical problem of some sort.(or hoping)
Just seemed very odd that the problem didn't start till changing the oil, probably just coincidence though.Thanks Again,
Mark

Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Route66rider
Tourer

Just my opinion, but due to the constant movement I don't believe that it would be a good idea to try to install any type of permanent mechanical gauge due to possiblilty of failure of the feed line.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:15 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggrmark
Cam tensioners ???Not sure what to do there?I've read many many posts mentioning Cam tensioners and even asked once if this was a problem with the 88tc but never got an answer to that.
With 38000 miles on the engine,you should have the tensioners inspected.Tensioner failure can lead to very expensive repairs.The oil pump and cam chest can be wiped out.The tensioners wear and pieces go thru the oil pump.
Many posts here about that.
Could just be a coincidence with oil pressure change and using a different oil.

Quick Reply: Help with oil pressure !!