Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffeting - Is there anyone who does have it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Wonderbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wind buffeting - Is there anyone who does have it?

OK I admitt like a lot of other folks on here I have been searching for that magic windshield solution and havent found it. The more threads I read and windshields I try the more confusing and elusive the solution seems to become. Several guys with SG said they found adding lowers to be the only solution, yet most utlra guys are dealing with the same issue it seems. I've tried stock, 6" (no recurve) 10.5" Xstream. I'm 5' 10" 30-31" inseam, using a stock seat. The 6" got me up to about 50mph, and the 10.5" got me up to about 55mph before buffeting begins. I like to do 70-75 mph on the highway.

My previous ride was a Steet bob and amazingly a full sized HD quick detach windshield was all it took.

Dont get me wrong buffeting for me means blurred vision and a rattled brain, so I would say I'm not being overly picky.

Does anyone really have the solution? Please help!

Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

SG here also, I'm 5'9" about a 30-31 in seam on a HD Pillow Look seat that has been lowered about an inch. I'm running a 7" ClarksCustom Windshield half moon with the wings and get no buffeting whatsoever...

Oh, I wear a ACC Half Helmet with ear pads.....

The plus with that windshield, your hands stay warmer in the winter and you can hear your speakers a lot better since the wind is being deflected away from the area where your speaker are located....

Old 04-11-2010, 09:49 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there is some truth about lowers helping with buffeting. I have a RK and noticed when at higher speeds I use to get some wind buffeting. I did not know what caused this exactly but as I was riding one day I noticed if i would put my arm across my chest and block some of the air that was coming from the bottom of the bike hitting my legs then rushing up to my face the buffeting would stop. I installed a set of front fork wind deflectors (these wont work with a SG) and the Buffeting stopped.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine's a roadking with a detach fairing. I run an 8" fastaire shield. No problems with the shield. My issues come from the wind coming up my legs. That doesn't bother me except for the fact that my beard blows straight up. I get a kick out of reading about all these guys buying these $150 shields, and not being any better than a $25 one. I'd buy one if it would stop the beard from blowing up, but that ain't gonna cure it. I'd almost try the fork things, but I think they look like crap.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:20 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda67bnl
Mine's a roadking with a detach fairing. I run an 8" fastaire shield. No problems with the shield. My issues come from the wind coming up my legs. That doesn't bother me except for the fact that my beard blows straight up. I get a kick out of reading about all these guys buying these $150 shields, and not being any better than a $25 one. I'd buy one if it would stop the beard from blowing up, but that ain't gonna cure it. I'd almost try the fork things, but I think they look like crap.
Yea they only look decent on a bike without a fairing and just a windshield but i still like how the RK looks without em. I have gotten accustom to putting them on for long tours and taking them off for around town or short beach trips they work great.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Next time you ride put your hand up along your helmet at the problem speed to see where the wind blast off of the windshield is. A recurve will throw it higher. I've got a 10" w/ recurve and the wind is just over the top of my helmet, I'm 6'3" no buffeting

Old 04-11-2010, 10:53 AM
brockstwrt
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...D/29/IMID/1796

don't know where your problem is coming from but this helped with wind coming up the front of the tank behind the shield

Old 04-11-2010, 11:41 AM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

On roadglide.org there is a very detailed and info packed list of windshield heights compared to diffrent rider height. Very nice database of measurements. I'ts in the windshield section as a sticky.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:51 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been on a Batwing fairing bike for 7 years now and have found a combo that works well. I had this set up on my last bike. 8" re-curve shield, Fork baffle and faring wings. This combo works real well for 70-75 mph runs. There is no way to get completely out of the wind but this works well. I only ran it during the winter to keep a little warmer on cold days. I like the wind in my face the rest of the year.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:01 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonderbob
OK I admitt like a lot of other folks on here I have been searching for that magic windshield solution and havent found it. The more threads I read and windshields I try the more confusing and elusive the solution seems to become. Several guys with SG said they found adding lowers to be the only solution, yet most utlra guys are dealing with the same issue it seems. I've tried stock, 6" (no recurve) 10.5" Xstream. I'm 5' 10" 30-31" inseam, using a stock seat. The 6" got me up to about 50mph, and the 10.5" got me up to about 55mph before buffeting begins. I like to do 70-75 mph on the highway.

My previous ride was a Steet bob and amazingly a full sized HD quick detach windshield was all it took.

Dont get me wrong buffeting for me means blurred vision and a rattled brain, so I would say I'm not being overly picky.

Does anyone really have the solution? Please help!
I ride 70-85mph on the freeway. I experience a lot of buffeting. My dimensions are similar to yours.

The most comfortable shield I have is the SE Ultra windshield, kind of tall at 9-1/2", but shorter than the stock Ultra shield. The shield I like the most is my 8" dark smoke Windvest. Almost as good as the Ultra shield. Both windshields work really well, but they're not the whole solution. I have also added two other very important "wind management" components. Much of the buffeting is from an updraft of air from under the fairing.

First mod is the $12 black fork baffle that used to come stock on older Road Glides. There are chrome ones available for $25, but I am not into chrome. That stopped a lot of air from coming up from the front of the tank.

Second mod was the addition of the adjustable air vents. They make a huge difference, but don't look so cool in my opinion. The stock Street Glide front end still looks the best in my opinion.

The third part of my solution which I did not mention earlier was to go to a DOT 1/2 helmet. I have a HCI polo-style helmet. A lot of wind noise was eliminated by not using a full-face helmet.

Another thing I've been considering, but am hesitant to do, is to add a couple of little dark smoke Lexan wind deflectors on my crash bar. I haven't yet found a way to make them not take away from the looks of the bike, so I'm dealing with the updraft coming from that area for now.

Lowers do help, but there still is a lot of air that comes up from between the lowers and the batwing.

I guess you could always buy a BMW K1300GT or R1200RT. They have awesome wind management, suspension, brakes, and motors!

Quick Reply: Wind buffeting - Is there anyone who does have it?