Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Oil: Redline Heavy or Amsoil Severe Gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:05 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Oil: Redline Heavy or Amsoil Severe Gear

I have been reading a lot of threads lately on Redline Heavy with Shockproof for the tranny. Yesterday I decided to go on a hunt for it locally and couldn't find it. I want to try this stuff, but don't really like the idea of using a product I can't find locally.

I was able to find Amsoil Severe Gear Oil in 75-140. I haven't heard much about this oil on the forum, but evidently they a pretty proud of it. They wanted $22 a quart at the shop. I passed.

But, I would be more inclined to go with the Amsoil from an online supplier (around $15) if I could at least find the stuff locally if I ended up really needing it.

Anyway, has anyone used both of these products???? Any difference between the two? Or should I just suck it up and order a case of Redline for a good bit cheaper?

Old 04-11-2010, 07:23 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I've used both and see no difference in performance. Both are excellent products imho.
I'm now using Amsoil as I add it to my purchase of motor oil. Last time I bought Severe Gear it was about $10.50 for 75-90.
Wouldn't think the 140 would be much more.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:23 AM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im running the redline shockproof in the primary, and redline 70w80 MTL in the tranny. I think I ordered mine from summit, they were pretty reasonable if I remember, its been about a year. I may switch over to Mobil 1 vtwin in the tranny on my next change as I have 3 cases of it...

ETA: Previously my indy had put amsoil in all three holes. I like the redline slightly better.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:25 AM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ams 75w90

Old 04-11-2010, 07:29 AM
chasswartz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never used the Amsoil gear lube, but have used the amsoil 20w50 engine oil in my transmission. When I switched to Redline Shockproof I could not tell the difference. Many people have reported big improvements with Redline Shockproof, But the only improvment I saw was it was easier to see the oil level on the dipstick. I would use whatever is readily available.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:38 AM
eaheritage
Tourer

I have syn 3 in tranny now ,,,, i have had redline shock proof in an EG ihad before and im going to redline in my heritage next change I use it to lube alot of things and yes it is alot easier to see on the stick for us old farts.........

Old 04-11-2010, 07:49 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the amsoil gear oil and did not notice much difference from the HD formula. I dont know much about the redline. I went with the Spectro 6speed platinum trans lube and noticed a huge difference. Right off the shifts were smoother and the 5th gear wine was a lot more quiet. Here is a link http://www.spectro-oils.com/products...n/hd6speed.asp

Old 04-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Brasil
4th Gear

I was using the Spectro 6 speed in my Baker DD6[recommended], went to Redline Heavy-Duty Shockproof. Seemed to shift better with that, plus seemed a bit quieter also.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:13 AM
fatbob
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried both redline heavy shockproof and now have amsoil 75-110 in it right now. I kinda like the amsoil better, alittle easier to shift when cold. Neutral was harder to find until hot with the redline for me, redline seemed to be alittle quieter though.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:20 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amsoil 75w90. I use amsoil in my truck and car so i just order it then. Found a couple of local shops that carry it now.

Quick Reply: Transmission Oil: Redline Heavy or Amsoil Severe Gear