Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Oil: Redline Heavy or Amsoil Severe Gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:23 AM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Amsoil 75w140 - I find it smoother than regular HD stuff or Amsoil 20W50 oil. Neutral seems to be easier to find.
I order Amsoil a couple times a year for all my vehicles so I always have a supply available. If I have to go retail I can find it at NAPA locally for suggested retail price...

Old 04-11-2010, 09:29 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Order a case of Redline form Summit racing parts. I always use it. Smooth as silk.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Knight2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been using Red Line for a few months now,
don't really feel a diff. over the 20/50.

Pete

Old 04-11-2010, 09:51 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last time I changed the tranny oil I hadn't thought ahead....

So I found this at Wal-Mart:

Super TECH Full Syn SAE 75-140 Gear Lube
It says Heavy Duty Extreme Pressure and API Service GL-5

Since using it I have noticed that when cold I still get the CLUNK shifting to 1st. When hot, shifts are very smooth and finding neutral is easy. BUT, I seem to be getting more gear whine than before.

What I really want is no clunk when hot or cold, and smooth shifting hot or cold. Sounds like either Redline Heavy or Amsoil Severe Gear would work.

But when a supplier of Amsoil tells you to go with Redline, I gotta listen. Thanks Dr V-Twin, I'm going with Redline.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:26 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG you suckered us all in this is another "CLUNK" thread...I'm out!!!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:36 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I used Royal Purple 85w140 for a while, which worked very well, then changed to RL SPH simply because it was $4/qt. cheaper in this area. I can get both from a small speed shop very near my house. There was no difference in performance that I could discern.

Last September I had a bearing replaced in the tranny and the shop used Belray 85w140, which I accepted since it was a warranty job and it was free, as this was the only heavy gear oil they had in stock. The tranny was as quiet and it shifted as smooth as the other two products, but I noticed that occasionally neutral was hard to find, something I hadn't noticed with the other two gear oils. I switched back to RL SPH a couple of weeks ago and the neutral issue is gone.

I think any heavy gear oil will work fine, but RL and RP have worked the best for me, if only marginally. Ordinarily I would say to choose something you can find easily in your area, but you should only need to change tranny oil every 20k, so if you bought 3-4 qts. on-line you'd be good for quite a while. I definitely wouldn't buy anything that costs $22/qt. on principle alone. RL costs $11/qt. here, RP was $15/qt. the last time I looked, and I think $10-12 is reasonable.

Last edited by iclick; 04-11-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:45 AM
brockstwrt
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sold on Redline sph

Old 04-11-2010, 10:55 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
So I found this at Wal-Mart: Super TECH Full Syn SAE 75-140 Gear Lube. It says Heavy Duty Extreme Pressure and API Service GL-5. Since using it I have noticed that when cold I still get the CLUNK shifting to 1st. When hot, shifts are very smooth and finding neutral is easy. BUT, I seem to be getting more gear whine than before.

What I really want is no clunk when hot or cold, and smooth shifting hot or cold. Sounds like either Redline Heavy or Amsoil Severe Gear would work.
I don't think you'll ever get rid of the neutral-to-first clunk, as that's just a product of the design, and I would say that if it disappears there's probably something wrong with your tranny. The combo of RL or RP and the SE comp has made my tranny butter-smooth and quiet-shifting, except for the 1st-gear clunk that may in fact be a tad quieter.

Go look for some RP 85w140, which may be available at Pep Boys and/or Napa. I think you'll find it as good, although it's rather pricey.

I haven't noticed 5th-gear whine in quite a while, and I attribute this to the gear oil, IDS, and time.

But when a supplier of Amsoil tells you to go with Redline, I gotta listen. Thanks Dr V-Twin, I'm going with Redline.
It's definitely a top-tier product, and once you get accustomed to the Pepto Bismol look and viscosity you'll like it. It doesn't look or pour like any gear oil you're likely to use. They don't give a viscosity spec, but say that it flows like a 75w while protecting like a 250, in their words much like a grease. It's so viscous some of it will stick to the funnel you used to install it and won't drain down.

Here's an interesting story: When I had my tranny bearing replaced in warranty the tech who worked on the bike asked me if I had used a pressure washer on the bike to clean it. I said that I had not and he took me into the shop to show me the red gunk all over the inside of my tranny. He thought it was oil that had been subjected to water contamination, which it did look a bit like with the opaque-red SPH sticking to everything in sight, and he was amazed to learn that the RL actually looked like this. Motor oil that is mixed with water gets viscous and milky colored, so I can understand where he was coming from.

If you buy a case (12) you'll have enough gear oil to last 240k miles on one bike using 20k change intervals. I would just buy 3-4 qts. and you'll be good for a long time, unless you change more frequently.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:57 AM
bobclift
Advanced

I've just ordered the Redline VTwin Transmission Oil with Shockproof from My Oil Shop for $12.95. Paid $8.95 for UPS ground shipping. My oil shop has the full range of Redline products.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...otorcycle_Oils

Old 04-11-2010, 11:07 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

I just ordered 4 quarts of RL Heavy SP from Summit. $61.75 shipped
$12.95 /qt plus 9.95 S/H

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RED-58204/

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by 09StreetGlider; 04-11-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Oil: Redline Heavy or Amsoil Severe Gear