Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After installing Tour Pak Quick Release???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Mental
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default After installing Tour Pak Quick Release???

I installed a Tour Pak Quick release and a seat from a Street Glide on my '09 EG Classic. Now I want to get a small backrest/sissybar to put on. What do I look for as far as mounting, do I still need to get a mounting kit for it?

Also what options are there for mounting the license plate differently than the kit, like below the tail light?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:33 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a few aftermarket license plate relocation kits. I'm in the process of installing a detachable tour-pak setup on my '09 Ultra Classic myself. I just returned from a visit to my nearest Harley dealership and noticed that the 2010 Road King has a tail light and turn signal light bar with a license plate mounted below the tail light. Even thought I had already bought an after market license plate relocation mount, I have ordered the HD parts that look and very likely will mount and fit better. There are a few parts that make up the assembly for a Harley Davidson brand license plate bracket but I don't have the part numbers. If you look at page 5 & 6 of 53246-09A, you will see a picture and list of parts that make up the Detachable Tour-Pak Kit license plate mounting bracket service parts. This is the only other option I know of.

Last edited by shortride; 04-10-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:37 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure on the 09's cause everything changed back there from my 08, but I'm pretty sure you need one kit for the TP and one for the backrest/luggage rack style combo. The TP hardware was far easier to install than the detach backrest hardware, on my bike. Maybe the newer bikes are easier? I say easier, because the instructions are pure junk.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Mental
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the instructions are junk, lol. Do manufacturers actually try to install or put something together following their own instructions?

So do I need any other mounting kit on the bike side, or just the backrest side? Can I still mount a angled brake light?

Old 04-10-2010, 06:25 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mental
I agree that the instructions are junk, lol. Do manufacturers actually try to install or put something together following their own instructions?

So do I need any other mounting kit on the bike side, or just the backrest side? Can I still mount a angled brake light?
I would check the parts books, but I'm pretty sure you need another kit to change from a TP to a regular backrest. The backrest mounts are closer in than the TP mounts, on my bike. If I was to have kept my backrest and used it for when TP was not on, I would have had to leave the docking kit on for it, and add the TP kit as well. Like I said the 09's are a different animal, but I foresee a need for more mounting points in your future. I don't see why an angled light would be a problem, but I don't have one so I'm not going to tell you one way or another. If you look at the rear of my bike in the pic below, an angled brake light wouldn't have been a problem.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:42 PM
scooter_trash_1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default docking points

If you installed the four point docking hardware kit, then you're good to go on the passenger backrest it will snap right on there. The tail light is another deal altogether...if you wantd the street glide look " the laydown light over the tag that would be simple" however you will have the holes from the previous mounting to deal with.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

+1 on the 4 point docking hardware, just snap the sissy bar on.

For plates mounts if your running a 2-1 pipe move it under the left bag.

Available here:

http://intermountaincycleproducts.com/Parts.php

Attached Thumbnails After installing Tour Pak Quick Release???-towpro3.jpg  

Last edited by hog-doc; 04-10-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:53 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
+1 on the 4 point docking hardware, just snap the sissy bar on.

For plates mounts if your running a 2-1 pipe move it under the left bag.

Available here:

http://intermountaincycleproducts.com/Parts.php
Hog Doc, went to the site and was looking for the the bullets you have, after taking off the grab bar. Where did you get those? Also a question on the wiring for the lights when remounting the plate under the bag. Is it a plug in for the plate light or do you have to splice in?

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2010, 11:42 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
Hog Doc, went to the site and was looking for the the bullets you have, after taking off the grab bar. Where did you get those? Also a question on the wiring for the lights when remounting the plate under the bag. Is it a plug in for the plate light or do you have to splice in?

Thanks!
They are not on the site yet but have several sets just about ready, the plate frame can plug into either the tail light whaere the fender tip plugs in or the tour pack connector thats bundled under the side cover.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:17 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I visited the nearest Harley dealer and found a 2009/10 Road King Standard on the floor that has a rear turn signal/ license plate setup that may serve as a relocation option for a 2009 Ultra Classic. I don't see why this setup will not mount onto an '09.

Has anyone mounted the rear turn signal/license plate for a 2010 Road King Standard onto an '09 Electra Glide, Street Glide or an Ultra Classic?

Last edited by shortride; 09-17-2010 at 04:18 PM.

Quick Reply: After installing Tour Pak Quick Release???