Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy stand modification for Europe.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010 | 01:34 AM
DutchDog
|
Novice
Default Jiffy stand modification for Europe.

just imported my 2008 Road King Classic from the US and it needs to be certified for European (dutch) traffic laws. I got an interesting list of stuff I need to modify in order to pass the test...as if the US regulations would not be sufficient here...
Anyway, one of the modifications the famous Jiffy stand interlock so you cannot start the bike with the stand out. I called the institued who does the certifications and they told me I dont necesarely have to install the sensor that deactivates the run circuit when stand is out. Instead, if I can prevent the stand will be out when the motor is pulled in upright position (in other words if it would pull in) then they would let the bike pass the test. People seem to do that by placing a second spring on the jiffy stand.

I was wondering if anyone had more details on how to mount that etc.

Of course it is a good habbit to make your bike as US specific as possible straight after you passed the certification and got yr licenseplates

thanks,
Ron

Old 04-10-2010 | 05:13 AM
broziff
Tourer

I know that harley does offer a jiffy stand shut off switch cause my 09 road king police is equipped with one from the factory. Dont know what a extra spring would do that doesnt even make sense.

Old 04-10-2010 | 06:58 AM
Pacodelahoya
Cruiser

Originally Posted by boneziff
I know that harley does offer a jiffy stand shut off switch cause my 09 road king police is equipped with one from the factory. Dont know what a extra spring would do that doesnt even make sense.

He's sayin that if the stand self retracts when the bike is placed upright, it will pass.

Old 04-10-2010 | 07:01 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

You may want to ask the agency if this would work....

Probably cheaper to remove the jiffy stand completely and install a center stand. Should be no issues with that I would think.

Old 04-10-2010 | 07:01 AM
SG Mike
Road Master

I would think that you could just attach a second spring (a little shorter then the original) so that when the stand is up the second spring will make sure that the stand doesn't come down. My guess is they would be ok with a "safety" measure like that.

Old 04-10-2010 | 08:05 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

That auto retract sounds like a f--- up waiting to happen. I could just see myself lifting the bike up (the stand pops up) and than remembering I need something and try to let the bike back down only to realize nothing is going to catch it. Like you said, some laws should be broken. I would put the retract spring on get the cert and then take it off.

Old 04-10-2010 | 08:08 AM
Badfinger
Road Master

I suggest you contact Harley as they may already have engineered a fix for this requirement.

Old 04-10-2010 | 08:18 AM
SA315B
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider

Probably cheaper to remove the jiffy stand completely and install a center stand. Should be no issues with that I would think.
A center stand is very unstable on uneven ground. Why not contact to Motor Company and see what they put on bikes that they sell there.

Old 04-10-2010 | 08:25 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Should have imported an HDI model, it would already have the required kick stand switch and Euro specific lights that you need.

That being said the switch and wiring should be able to be added on since like was said before it is already in place on the U.S. police models and HDI units.

The switch itself is part # 50126-08

Old 04-10-2010 | 10:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider

That's called lateral thinking! An alternative to a centre stand could be a display stand. I have one on my bike which is easy to use as both wheels stay on the ground. Riding off while it is down will fold it up, although I haven't tried it myself.

Quick Reply: Jiffy stand modification for Europe.